Confed drops IFR

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Confed drops IFR

Post by flyingcanuck »

So no more floats, no multi and no more IR.. why even go there anymore
---------- ADS -----------

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

flyingcanuck wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:10 pm So no more floats, no multi and no more IR.. why even go there anymore
It is still the least expensive way to get a CPL in the country! Even adding the cost of doing your Multi/IFR at YCC, it is still cheaper than another year of tuition and living expenses at Sault College, and you are going to be in the job market a year sooner than your contemporaries who go to the Sault.

WRT the OP’s questions about needing 40 hours in a twin to get a group 1 IFR, that is incorrect. You need 40 hours of instrument flight time (simulated (ie wearing a view limiting device) or actual, in cloud time), some of which can be in a flight simulator. The bare CPL requires 20 hours of instrument time, so even if they only just give you the bare minimum (I am fairly certain you get considerably more), you are half way to the IFR rating requirement.

Theoretically you can get a group 1 IFR having done no IFR training in a twin, just the flight test... this is not a good idea.
In my case, I only did about 5 hours of IFR time in a twin before my flight test, but I had done a lot of practice in the sim, and I had about 1000 hours total time when I got around to doing it. You may feel that you need more time in the twin to be ready for the flight test, but even 20 hours is probably excessive.

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

I assume they are having trouble holding on to instructors like most places around the country, and they have to prioritize. Really, they are going back to how they did it before (minus the floats, which is the real sad part). Just ask to do as much hood and sim time as you can throughout your time there, and you'll have nearly everything you need to go to Cornwall for one week when you're done at Confed and do them both (IFR and multi).

flyingjerry
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flyingjerry »

Honestly the answers to your questions are very easily googled. Between google and calling an independent school, you will find everything you need to know. I second Cornwall, as another said. Took me less than 20 days for multi and multi IFR

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Dean of Aviation Program at Con got sacked. Lots of poor decisions and execution over the last couple of years related to the Con flying program.

Hope they can get it back on track. Dropping the IFR is not a good start.

abrahamsedim
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by abrahamsedim »

what was your average for getting into confed?

Luke Spectre
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Luke Spectre »

81%

Luke Spectre
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Luke Spectre »

rudder wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:51 am Dean of Aviation Program at Con got sacked. Lots of poor decisions and execution over the last couple of years related to the Con flying program.

Hope they can get it back on track. Dropping the IFR is not a good start.
Everyone in the program now seems to be enjoying it. Better than Sault!

EGW
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EGW »

I’m in the same situation. Deciding between Confed and sault. I’m not sure if it’s still the case but everyone seems to think sault is behind and you won’t finish in the 3 years they say it will take. Anyone know if this is still the case?

Luke Spectre
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Luke Spectre »

EGW wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:09 pm I’m in the same situation. Deciding between Confed and sault. I’m not sure if it’s still the case but everyone seems to think sault is behind and you won’t finish in the 3 years they say it will take. Anyone know if this is still the case?
It is. Go to confed

EGW
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EGW »

Tips Up wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:42 am
Luke Spectre wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:58 am
altiplano wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:30 pm Group 3 IFR is basically useless if you're looking to get a job in IFR operations.

Remember a group 1 gives you an IFR on all aeroplanes, you don't need the other groups...
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. But the multi check has no flight time requirements, if you have cat 3 and you get multi check do you now have cat 1? Or do you need to start the IFR over?
Depending on your situation, if you look at the costs of getting your IFR rating on a single to acquire a group 3 and then do a multi rating with a multi flight test as well as a subsequent flight test for your group 1, you MAY save a few dollars. But you probably would be safer and get better experience doing your multi rating, flight test and then finish off the group 1 in the multi.

If you have a group 3 and want to move up to a group 1, you don’t get it just from a multi checkout. Two separate flight tests.

Correct me if I’m wrong everyone.. but I know that at Confed you still write the INRAT and do at least 20 hours of instrument time to complete your cpl. Wouldn’t I just be able to pay to take the group 3 flight test and then upgrade to the group 1 for a lot cheaper than doing the entire group 1 from scratch?

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

EGW wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:22 pm Wouldn’t I just be able to pay to take the group 3 flight test and then upgrade to the group 1 for a lot cheaper than doing the entire group 1 from scratch?
When I did it there was no requirement to first hold a Group 3 and I imagine that’s still true. What I did was knock out most of my IFR training in a single because it’s a hell of a lot cheaper, then got my multi ticket, then got IFR competent in a twin before taking my Group 1 ride. Never in my life have I done a Group 3 ride or held a Group 3 instrument rating.

Return to “Flight Training”