Chasing the dream or staying put

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Airbusa3
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chasing the dream or staying put

Post by Airbusa3 »

Hello all!

Im a 3rd year Econ major in Toronto. Since I was a young boy I wanted to become a pilot which was mostly driven by my dad taking me to the Tim Hortons at pearson to see planes landing and departing on RW 23 at YYZ. In my spare time, before university, I taught myself phraseology and familiarized myself with different types of planes and how to operate them. Well, I went on to study something I really enjoy and can see myself doing well in, but theres always this thought in the back of my mind that I can, after graduation, save up and get all my licenses and work my way up to the majors in 7 or 8 years. I dont know if this is the place to post this but im getting worried and maybe many others are as well that maybe AI will takeover the industry leading to single pilot commercial jets to pilotless. Should this be something I should be thinking about before investing time and money or am I just over thinking it.

Thanks
Airbusa3
---------- ADS -----------

LennyLeonard
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Chasing the dream or staying put

Post by LennyLeonard »

I was you years ago; econ in Toronto and all of that. Finished the degree, but didn't want to work in the field since it wasn't my cup of tea and flying was always my thing. Reflect on what you really want to do in life (sounds like you want to fly), finish your degree, and if you want to fly get started flying immediately right after or even during it. AI will probably not take over in your lifetime, or towards the end of it when you are about to retire.

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

As soon as B737-200s stop coming back to Canada from Africa you might have a legitimate concern.

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
bearitus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bearitus »

As someone who was in your shoes about 5 years ago (software engineer new grad) I chose the pilot route. Not to say it has been easy (I only make half as much as I did as an entry level software engineer working as a regional FO) and I have a bad schedule but things will get better. So far I am on the fence if I made the right decision as I often compare myself to friends who stayed software engineers and now own nice houses and cars while I can barely afford to pay rent in Toronto.

My advice to you is if you are single and don't need alot of money to survive and you really want to fly you should give it a shot otherwise you will regret it when you get older.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Pilots in general are antsy and impulsive dreamers. Are you a pilot or not?

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

I'm an economics guy. Also love to fly -- when and where I want. Same with travel.

My advice: Take a good, hard look at the negative tone from so many posters at the majors before making that commitment. Industry seems like a complete dumpster fire to me -- at least from the outside.

Suggest, if you're gifted in economics, use it to make a pile of dough, buy whatever plane you want.

But of course it depends what you really want from life.

Return to “Flight Training”