Headset suggestion for Aviation College?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

SbzYKF
Rank 0
Rank 0

Headset suggestion for Aviation College?

Post by SbzYKF »

Hey everyone,

I tried searching many threads here for headset discussion but found that there are over 200 possible suggestions. I am not sure if this has been answered already, and if it has my apologies in advanced...

I've heard that for some college, namely Sault, you have to purchase headsets for your flight training (which I was expecting this would end up happening either way).

1) Must I purchase a headset solely based on what they ask for (i.e. only Bose, David Clark etc or whatever they give me on the list)? or;
2) Am I free to choose what headset I would like?

The reason I ask is because I have flown before and used a Bose headset, and a few others, so for me personally the Bose headset is the best (I am fully aware of its price tag in comparison to its competition).

Any suggestions?
---------- ADS -----------

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Headset suggestion for Aviation College?

Post by altiplano »

Get a David Clark headset with noise cancelling.

Cheaper than a Bose, durable, and it works well... you'll have it until you come out the other end of training and however long you want to continue with it when you are flying professionally.

I still have whatever model they sold years ago... it's still good as new...

Teeg
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Teeg »

You can never regain your hearing.
Buy the best headset with noise cancelling you can afford. I'm in my late 30s and am aware that I'm losing my hearing.
Does Sault have a program with Bose for repairs etc?
I had a Litespeed and sent it for repair 3 times free of charge.
#takecareofyourhearing

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

Are you planning on flying as a career? You're free to choose whatever headset you want, but don't cheap-out on the headset!
I'd recommend: Lightspeed, Bose, or David Clark. Something with active noise cancelling that's comfortable.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

David Clark has a new noise cancelling over ear headset meant to compete with the Bose. It is on same frame as their professional on ear set. I've heard positive things about it. It's the DC One-X

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
Saultstudent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Saultstudent »

Hello,
This is one thing you should not cheap out on. Just make sure you are set on your path. You do not want to spend $1000 on a good headset, start your training, and then decide it is not for you. This is why you find new headsets on sites for sale such as Kijij.

the high end Light speed is very nice. I prefer this over the Clarks, as you are paying a bit just for the name. The cables as well are much better on them then again the Clarks or Bose. The Bose are the more comfortable , so a bit of a trade there. If you do by the Bose, often they have a deal were you get a free Bose speaker...$200 ish.

Make sure to try what ever you buy first! Comfort is key here as you may have them on for long periods of time. Remember to bring your sun glass when you are trying them on!! Many forget if they are tight,it will push the arms of your glasses on the side of your head..hours of this can be a real ..pain!.

Hope this helps.

lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

There are so many different answers because this is a highly personal, highly subjective choice. There is no one right answer.

I did my flight training with a David Clark H10-13.4 headset. Earlier this year I splurged on a Lightspeed Zulu 3. I like both. Shrug.

...laura

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Just finally traded my DC 10-13.4 up for the new One-X never had an issue with the DC in.....15 years. And grandfather still has multiple pairs, however the noise cancelling is night and day. Highly recommend the one-x

jeffmorr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jeffmorr »

When I started my flight training at another school, we all received ASA HS-1A headsets in our kits (included with tuition but we paid for it). I used that headset for the entirety of my training - and I regret it. As soon as I graduated and started instructing I bought Bose A20s and I haven't regretted it in the year and a half since. Every other poster here nailed it on the head, don't cheap out on a headset.

Return to “Flight Training”