Career change to pilot

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

V12Diesel
Rank 0
Rank 0

Career change to pilot

Post by V12Diesel »

Hello everyone. Just thought I’d introduce myself.
I’m in an aviation industry family and my father has been an aerospace engineer. I always wanted to be a pilot but forgot about it for a while when my career took me in a different direction. I got a commerce degree and worked for Bombardier on the Q400 for a number of years before getting a random office job at another manufacturing company.

Anyway long story short I’m 31 years old now and I’m super bored of riding a desk and don’t want to do this for the rest of my life. Could anyone offer me some advice on a mid career change to piloting?

I want the fastest and most effective possible way to become either an airline pilot or a cargo pilot (like flying MD-11s or 777Fs). I don’t really care which I do as long as I get to do long hauls eventually. Any advice would be appreciated.
---------- ADS -----------

maturepilot83
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Career change to pilot

Post by maturepilot83 »

Shoot me a PM. Let's talk.

MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MarkyMark90 »

Shoot me a PM too

My dream is to fly... Over the rainbow, so high!!
revilo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by revilo »

I'm in the same boat. Been working for the last year to save the cash for all licenses and ratings. Should be good to go shortly, and wondering what the climate is looking like.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Try to find a part time thing. Or fly for fun. With the money you make as an engineer (designing planes, not fixing them), you could have way more fun flying privately than flying commercially.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

digits_ wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:01 pm Try to find a part time thing. Or fly for fun. With the money you make as an engineer (designing planes, not fixing them), you could have way more fun flying privately than flying commercially.
Surprisingly, engineers don't make nearly as much money as people think. Most are under $100k.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

Bede wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:08 pm
digits_ wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:01 pm Try to find a part time thing. Or fly for fun. With the money you make as an engineer (designing planes, not fixing them), you could have way more fun flying privately than flying commercially.
Surprisingly, engineers don't make nearly as much money as people think. Most are under $100k.
I find many pilots, particularly senior airline captains tend to grossly over estimate what many other professions make.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Bede wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:08 pm
Sure, but even with 70k or 80k you'd make more than a pilot for the first few years, and you'd be able to buy a small plane if you so wish.

I don't know the OP's situation, but I do think that people frequently overestimate the cost of private airplane ownership, see the pilot job through rose colored glasses and underestimate the value of a stable job. Just wanted to point that out.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
dan2326
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dan2326 »

im in the same boat im 28 have a decent paying job with summers off and wanting to be a commercial pilot. wondering what the best route to go would be thanks

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

The question to ask, what would make you so happy and daily interested, you'd do it for free all of your life.

For me it's exactly what I'm doing, solving puzzles that change daily, and flying (only) when I want to.

I'd literally die of boredom doing YYZ-YOW -YYC -- YVR --- never tempted for a second. For others though that's golden.

Everyone is different.

mvaughan009
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mvaughan009 »

maturepilot83 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:28 pm Shoot me a PM. Let's talk.
Im in the same boat...although a few years older. Now I am in a position to pay for it I feel I would be too old to have a great career.

dinokay
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dinokay »

I'm also considering career change at age 28.
I was looking into iATPL course which seems like it could be the fastest way to go into airlines. Please correct me if I have the wrong information. But for choosing flight school, is there a noticeable benefit by going to ones that have partnerships to airlines like Jazz/Encore?

TORunner
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TORunner »

Hi everyone,

I would like to get your opinion on my situation, especially for those who are active in the market.

Licences: CPL/Multi/IFR expired (have to recheck them);
Total current hours: 200;

I have a current full-time job, salary of $75k plus benefits, but never found a job that matches my passion for aviation (not even close).

Would it be a complete no sense to get back into aviation (especially due to age)?

Are there decent opportunities to build hours and a career?

Is the current market in demand for pilots in general?

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

It can't hurt to try. It's not like you're dropping $60k into licenses starting fresh.

RATO
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RATO »

Another thing to consider is the fact this hiring surge won’t last forever, and when the music stops your career may stagnate for a considerable time. I haven’t done the math. I’m sure others have. Just a thought...

mjankovic
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mjankovic »

I am 47 and just finished training and passed IATRA two weeks ago.
Running my own business that I am tired of.
Don't care about wage or working conditions-I am doing this!!!

R1fraf
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by R1fraf »

I am 29. Considering doing this. I would be able to bring about 120k to the table for living and the training. I could work some part time jobs, and I also have a fairly large savings from working that if needed I could use. Anyone have any tips for getting started? Thanks.

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

mjankovic wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:11 pm I am 47 and just finished training and passed IATRA two weeks ago.
Running my own business that I am tired of.
Don't care about wage or working conditions-I am doing this!!!
That's what I'm talking about!! Keep the forum updated with your progress!

TORunner, get current and get going! Time to put your training to good use.

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
Teamflyer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Teamflyer »

Your world is your oyster. You can go wherever you want. Plan it out, work to make it work, and wait patiently...

I have seen teachers, nurses, career change to pilot. And people career change from pilot to teacher, police, nurse, etc... look into your self. Your values, lifestyle, goals. Do you want a family, do you want to stay single? Where do you want to live, religion, politics, etc...

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

I'm on the opposite end, 40s, haven't worked a job outside of aviation since I was 14. Aviation and I have had our differences throughout the years, but we never fell out of love with each other at the same time. When she's absolutely loathed me and wanted me to pick up for greener pastures, I loved her enough to pursue her to the ends of the planet. When I have grown tired of her, she's provided me with a lifestyle few could dream of, so I have stuck around and worked at our relationship.

Life is very very short, pursue all that brings you joy. If your heart is truly in it, you'll do just fine. Just make sure your heart is in the right place. A lot of people love the "idea" of being a pilot, soon their comfort zones are challenged and their love is dropped pretty quickly.

Return to “Flight Training”