Harv's Air

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Harv's Air

Post by Bede »

In the past, I've recommended students head to Harv's to do some intense training and get their IFR, CPL, etc over with quickly.

Recently, a son of a friend went out there and was somewhat under whelmed with the experience. Despite being there full time, he got little flying in, and I heard of some concerning instructing practices. What he told me was that on day 1 of his IFR training he did a simulated IFR flight test. Subsequently, his ENTIRE IFR training consisted of simulated flight tests and debriefings. I guess once he gets good enough at the simulated flight test he gets a recommend.

Is this other pilots' experience too or just a one off?
---------- ADS -----------

PT6A
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Harv's Air

Post by PT6A »

On the IFR side of things I find this is the norm. I’m not saying that their PPL / CPL training is poor, but their IFR program / IFR instructors is something to laugh at.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Bede wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:15 pm In the past, I've recommended students head to Harv's to do some intense training and get their IFR, CPL, etc over with quickly.

Recently, a son of a friend went out there and was somewhat under whelmed with the experience. Despite being there full time, he got little flying in, and I heard of some concerning instructing practices. What he told me was that on day 1 of his IFR training he did a simulated IFR flight test. Subsequently, his ENTIRE IFR training consisted of simulated flight tests and debriefings. I guess once he gets good enough at the simulated flight test he gets a recommend.
I've heard similar stories from other schools as well to be honest. It's like training people to perform an act. I've seen it in companies for PPC training as well. Training needs to happen quickly, there is no room for critical thinking or extra training in areas where you might meet the standards but aren't comfortable in yet. It's a shame. But I doubt it will change any time soon, where the organisation that grades you is the same as the organisation that provides the training.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
LifeAt90Kts
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LifeAt90Kts »

Which base was he at? I’m not saying it didn’t happen the way he’s recounting, I’d just be very surprised. I was one of those MIFR instructors in the not too distant past and neither I nor any of the other fine folks teaching IFR there would’ve thrown someone into a sim FT on day one. The syllabus isn’t written that way either (and the syllabus works). We tried to cover all the basic concepts in the sim to save the student money, then into the plane where we’d focus on the problem areas. We didn’t bring it all together until the last couple of flights, prepping for the test. The way you’re describing is just asking for a brain overload.

clairvoyant
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by clairvoyant »

Didn't someone mention something similar about that reputable FTU in the Eastern Ontario (close to Montreal)?....wink....wink.....

DinaEgypt1988
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DinaEgypt1988 »

LifeAt90Kts wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:14 am Which base was he at? I’m not saying it didn’t happen the way he’s recounting, I’d just be very surprised. I was one of those MIFR instructors in the not too distant past and neither I nor any of the other fine folks teaching IFR there would’ve thrown someone into a sim FT on day one. The syllabus isn’t written that way either (and the syllabus works). We tried to cover all the basic concepts in the sim to save the student money, then into the plane where we’d focus on the problem areas. We didn’t bring it all together until the last couple of flights, prepping for the test. The way you’re describing is just asking for a brain overload.
Hi lifeat90kts..
Im accepted at harv's air and will start next september.
i will move from Egypt to Winnipeg for training my first time everrrrrr... im so scared..
I need your advice.. shall i begin in st. andrew's or steinbach? What do you advice me before leaving Egypt? Harv's is good place for internationals right? i will be all alone and im afraid i got frauded or something?
what is the fastest way to finish from zero to cpl?
every advice is much appreciated.
You may contact me on dina.imam@hotmail.com
or facebook dina imam
thanks

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

Harv's is pretty decent as far as my experience goes. There have been some less than ideal instructors but Dan/Thiea at St. Andrews and Adam/Harv at Steinbach have an open door policy if you are even the least bit not satisfied and they will make it right.

I would suggest try flying with a few instructors at the start and see whose style of teaching you like the best and then go from there. Be prepared to do a TON of self-study and come prepared for all your briefings with questions to ask your instructor.

As for location, my advise would be to start out at Steinbach and do most of the training there. Then move to St. Andrews for your IFR training. Personally, I think Steinbach is a great place to learn the basics as it is a bit quieter than St. Andrews and the whole "backyard" is a practice area of sorts. Lots of grass strips to go land at if you're training in the summer and if your instructor is up for it.

jasonCH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jasonCH »

DinaEgypt1988 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:06 pm Hi lifeat90kts..
Im accepted at harv's air and will start next september.
i will move from Egypt to Winnipeg for training my first time everrrrrr... im so scared..
I need your advice.. shall i begin in st. andrew's or steinbach? What do you advice me before leaving Egypt? Harv's is good place for internationals right? i will be all alone and im afraid i got frauded or something?
what is the fastest way to finish from zero to cpl?
every advice is much appreciated.
You may contact me on dina.imam@hotmail.com
or facebook dina imam
thanks
Hi Dina,

Wanted to ask you because am currently choosing between becoming an AME and a pilot. At my age, 27yo, i don't think i'll be spared if i fail to pick up the right career, so here goes my question : Why going to Canada for pilot training when you got great schools down there in South Africa(same continent) ? Is the quality because in CA because SACAA is derived from UKCAA and i heard level is so good that even Europeans are heading down South these days.

Regards,

Jason.

KissPlusOne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KissPlusOne »

How long ago was this? I agree with 90kts. It seems unlikely that that was the entirety of the training.

However, maybe your friend's son was just so good, he didn't need any extra practice time ;)

The syllabus is there for a reason. Assuming one has their cpl, they only need another 15 hours of instrument, and a lot of that is done in the sim. The actual flying part is really just to solidify the theory you've been cramming into your head while in the sim.

With that being said, yes, Harv's is extremely busy. With an average of 1 flight test a day, and on good weather days, it's more like 2 or 3, I would say that they're doing their best.

The unusual wait times are a result of the pilot shortage across Canada. :smt102

oneplus
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by oneplus »

is their online ground school good?

KissPlusOne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KissPlusOne »

For MIFR, it goes above and beyond the required knowledge. If you want to get test ready, some other textbooks might do well enough.

I definitely recommend the online ground school for PPL and CPL courses.

Hugh Jasshole
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hugh Jasshole »

If you consider a dude standing in front of a whiteboard a good online course?

oneplus
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by oneplus »

Hugh Jasshole wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:47 pm If you consider a dude standing in front of a whiteboard a good online course?
username checks out

triplebarrel
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by triplebarrel »

oneplus wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:38 pm is their online ground school good?
Yes I recommend it for both CPL and INRAT and ill probably use it for IATRA/ATPL. And that buddy who commented about the whiteboards....lol he probably had 3 or 4 attempts to pass the cpaer. The whiteboard is hands down the best part, he's a good teacher man and that course will outdo many in-person ground schools. BTW he goes through the powerpoint then zooms in on topics to explain them, then he draws easy to understand diagrams on the whiteboard, and he can actually draw which is good as a student/viewer.
You can tell harvs air put a lot of work into their ground school, they even put of a video of when they went to some convention to get a hands-on description of a PT6 engine on a moving model from some technician. (CPL had no turbine questions for me, yours might)

Tuza
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tuza »

triplebarrel wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:45 pm
oneplus wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:38 pm is their online ground school good?
Yes I recommend it for both CPL and INRAT and ill probably use it for IATRA/ATPL. And that buddy who commented about the whiteboards....lol he probably had 3 or 4 attempts to pass the cpaer. The whiteboard is hands down the best part, he's a good teacher man and that course will outdo many in-person ground schools. BTW he goes through the powerpoint then zooms in on topics to explain them, then he draws easy to understand diagrams on the whiteboard, and he can actually draw which is good as a student/viewer.
You can tell harvs air put a lot of work into their ground school, they even put of a video of when they went to some convention to get a hands-on description of a PT6 engine on a moving model from some technician. (CPL had no turbine questions for me, yours might)
Agreed 💯! Used for cpl, inrat, iatra, and now AIRAF. Had no problem with any of the exams and even completed the Inrat in 1:50. No joke. Harv’s is good and super busy-life friendly!

Oh and I loved the Pt6 engine part! Like how cool!!

Good luck!

Return to “Flight Training”