Minimun takeoff visibility: SID vs CAP departure procedure

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

dougj
Rank 1
Rank 1

Minimun takeoff visibility: SID vs CAP departure procedure

Post by dougj »

I noticed the following conundrum in preparing for my upcoming IPC:
For an IFR takeoff from Runway 35 CYTA (Pembroke ON) the aerodrome chart only shows SPEC VIS , meaning at least 1sm depending on aircraft type, and you must climb visually over the airport. Yet the BONDE ONE DEP SID has Runway 35 as only needing 1/2 sm vis , and a different climb out procedure (not over airport). I realize this airport's procedures are complicated by proximity to CYR's to the north, but is this a typo that the 1/2sm option was left off the stated "take-off minima all runways 17, 35 *" ? Or is there a circular I missed stating that RNAV SIDs minima override takeoff vis if your GPS has "selectable CDI".
Can anyone dis-conundrum me?
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Minimun takeoff visibility: SID vs CAP departure procedure

Post by digits_ »

I don't have the charts with me, but I believe you can use the SID with 1/2 sm vis.
So if the visibility is below 1 sm, you have to take off via the SID if you want to leave. 1sm or above and you can choose to climb visually over the airport or fly the SID.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Blackdog0301
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blackdog0301 »

Or if an aircraft is unable to maintain the required 280ft/nm climb gradient in the SID, I suppose the SPEC VIS departure could be an alternative.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

BONDE ONE: "Rwy 35 – ½:1. Requires a minimum climb gradient of 280ft/NM to 1100."

If you can make a 280'/NM climb then you can use the SID, with 1/2SM vis. This is steeper than the default 200'/NM that regular instrument departures are predicated to require.

In this case, if you can't make 280/NM you can't use the SID at all, and for any other instrument departure you have to "climb in visual conditions to cross airprt at or above 1200...", and must have the specified visibility as well.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.

Return to “Flight Training”