CPL oral test reviews

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

firstofficer
Rank 1
Rank 1

CPL oral test reviews

Post by firstofficer »

Hello everyone,

I’d love to hear some reviews/stories from people who have been through the process within the last year.

It will be my first flight test in Canada since I already hold a FAA PPL. My checkride back in the states consisted of a staggering 4.5hr oral portion and like a 2hr flight.

I’ve been studying thoroughly as I wish to pass first time round. Although one never feels satisfied and I always feel like there’s a lot more to cover theoretically (realistically just going over the same things again,again & again.

A detailed review of the oral portion would be greatly appreciated + duration.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by firstofficer on Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
KissPlusOne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: CPL oral test reviews

Post by KissPlusOne »

I would certainly say that 4.5 hours of ground is staggering!

Depends on where you go, but from my experience the CPL oral shouldn't take more than 2 hours. Flight test about the same, and probably a half hour debrief afterwards.

How I explain the difference to people between CPL and PPL is that for the PPL you need to know how to stay safe, and for the CPL, you need to think like a small operator, and know if it's LEGAL to do something. Be prepared to answer questions relating to the CARs, and make sure you know what the heck the COM is!

Like I mentioned before, it largely depends on the school/examiner, but keep a small air taxi in mind when you're answering the questions. You're getting a CPL. Yay! You can get paid to fly now! But that blessing comes with a large and onerous responsibility of at least HALF remembering the CARs enough to not do something illegal (and usually stupid) with your 2 passengers while you're flying in NWO in your DHC-2 in 1/2 mile visibility 28 feet above trees.......... Because clients need to be delivered............

Just saying.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: CPL oral test reviews

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

The flight test guide is your friend. You should be familiar with all parts of it as it outlines what you will be tested on.

With respect to the ground portion of the test you need to review Ex 2 and 23 of the flight test guide

Return to “Flight Training”