Seneca College Airline Pilot Flight Operations Diploma

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Seneca College Airline Pilot Flight Operations Diploma

Post by rookiepilot »

L39Guy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:16 am
But please, don't take my word for it as I am just a line pilot in a major airline.
I'm a disinterested bystander, but above you say you do hiring for your engineering practice. Also a line pilot?
---------- ADS -----------

L39Guy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by L39Guy »

I am a Boeing 787 Captain (you can probably guess which airline) that also has an engineering practice involved with advanced satellite-based navigation applications.

jschnurr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jschnurr »

L39Guy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:16 am One of the things I really don't like on these forums is the name calling. Rather juvenile.

And no, I am not a shill for Seneca or any of the other flying colleges. I happen to fly with a lot of first rate pilots who happen to come from some very good training organizations (the military, Seneca, Mount Royal, etc). 99% of them are top drawer, the remaining 1% wankers but you'll get that in any group of individuals.
Your credibility, sir, is now less than the 737 Max.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

L39Guy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:16 am
Napoleon So Low wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:50 pm Spoken like a true shill. Your posts read like commercials for Seneca.
One of the things I really don't like on these forums is the name calling. Rather juvenile.

And no, I am not a shill for Seneca or any of the other flying colleges. I happen to fly with a lot of first rate pilots who happen to come from some very good training organizations (the military, Seneca, Mount Royal, etc). 99% of them are top drawer, the remaining 1% wankers but you'll get that in any group of individuals.

What has always impressed me is the knowledge and professionalism of these pilots - this is not to detract from others that don't come from any one of these formal, flying training schools but my experience has been that virtually to the man (and woman), you are dealing with a highly competent aviator. Like any skill, competence comes from learning the basics early and properly then applying then thereafter. That is what the military or an integrated training organization like Seneca, Mount Royal provides. For those that do not do an integrated training program but instead get their flying training piecemeal, a private certificate here, the multi-engine there, etc they do not get an integrated training and that is what the 1 year Seneca program provides, a mechanism to fill in the gaps that a piecemeal training program does include.

But please, don't take my word for it as I am just a line pilot in a major airline. Ask the employers or better yet go to their websites to see what they are looking for as I have done and you will notice that they seek pilots with military or aviation college credentials. For those that lust over working in the US; if you want a major airline job you need an education, normally a full college degree so Canada is not unique in demanding post secondary training.

The keen reader might notice that I am speaking (or writing) past the naysayers and I do that intentionally. My target audience are those that are looking for some free advice if they are trying to decide how to go about checking the boxes to get an airline gig. The hiring desires of the airlines are all on their websites and most of them include the aviation college degree or diploma. For those without one but believe they should get one to become more marketable to an airline but already have a commercial pilot license and a post secondary education, the 8 month Seneca program ticks that box, in addition to providing valuable training.
You are spreading false information. An 8 month diploma won’t tick any boxes. Every airline job I have applied for in the past that cared about post secondary asks if you have a college diploma or degree. In order to get into this program you need a post secondary education so you would already tick that box. Airlines typically don’t care what your education is in. Bachelor in tiddlywinks? Perfect, welcome aboard.

L39Guy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by L39Guy »

jschnurr wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:53 am
L39Guy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:16 am One of the things I really don't like on these forums is the name calling. Rather juvenile.

Your credibility, sir, is now less than the 737 Max.
And you're one of the 1 per cent. You just proved my point, thanks.

jt8d
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jt8d »

Glad you learned how to spell "Seneca" L39.. kind of alarming that you can't proof-read the title to the thread you created.. that says a LOT

Below are the copy and paste AC requirements...

Pilot applications far exceed job vacancies, so preference is given to candidates with qualifications beyond the basic requirements. Examples of desirable additional qualifications include, but are not limited to:

-Graduates of a three or four year diploma/degree program from a college or university
-Aviation College degree or diploma
-Commercial or military flight experience
-Jet and/or glass cockpit experience

So it looks like if you already have a 3 or 4 year degree /diploma.. you are golden! So why are you pitching this silly 8 month SEENCA course to degree holders?! They've already ticked off that box! There's no box for 8 month airline ops course lol.. you sure you aren't working for Seenca?

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

You are here to provide free advice, and you have ten posts. Admirable altruism. :prayer:
\\

Not to mention his smug self serving attitude.

As to pilot decision making, judging from his posts here I have decided I would not want to be crewed with him...period.....hows that for PDM? :mrgreen:

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

L39Guy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:28 am I am a Boeing 787 Captain (you can probably guess which airline) that also has an engineering practice involved with advanced satellite-based navigation applications.
Is that you DP?

L39Guy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by L39Guy »

jt8d wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:44 pm Glad you learned how to spell "Seneca" L39.. kind of alarming that you can't proof-read the title to the thread you created.. that says a LOT

Below are the copy and paste AC requirements...

Pilot applications far exceed job vacancies, so preference is given to candidates with qualifications beyond the basic requirements. Examples of desirable additional qualifications include, but are not limited to:

-Graduates of a three or four year diploma/degree program from a college or university
-Aviation College degree or diploma
-Commercial or military flight experience
-Jet and/or glass cockpit experience

So it looks like if you already have a 3 or 4 year degree /diploma.. you are golden! So why are you pitching this silly 8 month SEENCA course to degree holders?! They've already ticked off that box! There's no box for 8 month airline ops course lol.. you sure you aren't working for Seenca?
Those that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Thank you for pointing out a spelling error in a post of mine. But give me some credit, I spelled "Seneca" correctly twice later in that post.

But speaking of proof reading, lets take a look at your contributions to this forum. In none of your twelve contributions so far have you been able to put together two paragraphs of thought just lots of drive-by hits on others. In addition to this, you seem to be unable to put a full sentence together and end it with a "." rather than a "...". Or is that morse code?

But there's more!

"And what would be a reasonable pay for a 250TT pilot? If you have no experience to bring to the table, you don't deserve some 50K salary as a 400TT FO.. these very 2 regionals have perpetuated the race to the bottom... so why is everyone wanting to jump onboard? Tell me.. why is a 2 year bond so hard to swallow? It's 2 years!! How people can't fulfill a 1-year commitment is ridiculous... actions like this bring down the whole industry. I've seen it happen over n over and have nil respect for these kind of people... who were so grateful to get that job but.. but.. grass is always greener? NO

... anyway.. rant over... Seems like the industry is breeding more Air France Bonins day by day.... sighhh.. don't be in such a rush people!" "Onboard" is actually spelled "on board". Also, you capitization after ... is inconsistent.

"I'm shocked how pilots these days have no integrity... and no patience... jumping on bonds to go regional ASAP before they've truly learned the fundamentals of flying! Sad state of affairs... if I were an employer and took a gamble on you as a new hire 250TT know-nothing.. where the f@#$ is the gratitude? Unless the flying is ultra sketch and you have wild safety concerns... you owe it to your employer to finish your bond.. maybe i'm just old fashioned and believe in a solid reference. You really shouldn't be applying anywhere til your obligation to your employer is nearly fulfilled. Take some time to smell the roses kids... seems like most pilots lack the true passion for flying and just wanna wear an airline cap for instagram.". "i'm" should be "I'm", "til" should be "until". Instagram is a proper name and should be capitalized.

"Sure seems to be less emphasis on hands and feet skills these days... now Jazz has 1000TT system operators that don't know how to land a plane in marginal wind conditions hehe.. i say again.. 100 hours in a sim and no type rating out of it is a money grab! Might as well go out there and get a flight instructor rating with that cash... (since you'd already have a degree anyway). So basically if you take this course, the main benefit is you can check off the FMS experience box... yayyee! Original poster seems to be under the impression that jazz is openly taking 250TT pilots... last i checked, you had to be crème de la crop from the class... so don't bank on Jazz being your first employer as a pilot! I guess Seneca sold you a different story about their post-post-secondary course haha... FMS is easily learned in an initial course with good trainers! Kids these days are pretty tech savvy... if you have the degree to qualify you for this silly program.. then you already have a leg up on most on the CV pile... there's no point in this program at all unless your mommy and daddy are paying for it." "i say again" should be "I say again" as I is capitalized. Jazz should be capitalized

"Are you kidding me? An 8 month diploma! Ever heard the saying GO BIG OR GO HOME? Either get a 3 or 4 year diploma/degree or don't bother wasting your with this lil post secondary course.. who the heck needs 100 hours in some generic sim? You should atleast come out with a dash type rating after this program

To the OP learn to spell Seneca... especially if you work for them as a recruiter lol.. hard to take your recommendation seriously" What's a "lil"? Is that little or lil'? What's "atleast"?

"Yet that stupid "Where to begin" thread still exists.. what a waste of interweb! 777 O.P. is some sort of Troll that has yet to make a reply.. avcanada.. can you delete that silly thread?""Troll" should not be capitalized

That's enough although each every one of your "contributions" to this website has spelling and grammar errors.

More troubling, however, is that as I look at your posts, you appear to be a very angry person. Lots of vitrol, lots of disparaging remarks, lots of put-downs, lots of jealousy. Sad.

L39Guy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by L39Guy »

[/quote]You are spreading false information. An 8 month diploma won’t tick any boxes. Every airline job I have applied for in the past that cared about post secondary asks if you have a college diploma or degree. In order to get into this program you need a post secondary education so you would already tick that box. Airlines typically don’t care what your education is in. Bachelor in tiddlywinks? Perfect, welcome aboard.[/quote]

I am afraid you are ill-informed. One of the 2018 cadets who did the post-secondary/commercial license, 8 month Seneca program got hired at Jazz with 260 hours total time and is flying in the right seat of an RJ. He never would have got looked at by Jazz without the Seneca program but he did and now he is flying an RJ. That should tell you something.

To be clear, this program is well suited for just that type of pilot, relatively low time with the post-secondary/commercial license already. As I said earlier, if one wants to take a pass on going up north or some other operator to get time and go straight to a Jazz or other regional airline then this is a program that one should check out. It is not for everyone however my objective is to make people who are on this forum aware of its presence. They can do their own research and see if its suits them.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

L39Guy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:33 pm One of the 2018 cadets who did the post-secondary/commercial license, 8 month Seneca program got hired at Jazz with 260 hours total time and is flying in the right seat of an RJ. That should tell you something.
.....It tells me if true, to tell my friends -- don't book an airline flight on an RJ!

Seriously.

jt8d
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jt8d »

Umm L39.. thanks for the proof reading bud but seems like you're still missing the point... comprehend much? Rest assured I know how to spell when it matters. I called you out because you couldn't spell the bloody name of your son's program that you are pitching. LOL. If you start a thread, please proof read the title. I'm not going to knit pick the body of your message... who does that? Lol

umm I'm not angry.. hehe.. just saying it how it is.. I'm in a very happy place in life. I actually feel very sorry for your 250TT example RJ kid... will never get to experience flying say a 206.. king air etc.. only flying into ILS airports. What's a circling approach? My point was that you make it sound like if you take this course you stand a darn good chance at going to Jizz with 250TT... not the case bud... not the case

Ps. Save your wise-guy talk for your son... I live in a brick house

L39Guy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by L39Guy »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:47 pm
L39Guy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:33 pm One of the 2018 cadets who did the post-secondary/commercial license, 8 month Seneca program got hired at Jazz with 260 hours total time and is flying in the right seat of an RJ. That should tell you something.
.....It tells me if true, to tell my friends -- don't book an airline flight on an RJ!

Seriously.
Better not book on a Dash 8, Q400, B737 either as Jazz, Sunwings, (and I believe but not entirely sure) Porter and Encore hire straight out of Seneca and Mount Royal. These carriers obviously think highly of the product that these and other schools produce.

I spoke with a TC inspector that monitors Jazz and Sunwings and he told me that these young aviators do an excellent job...just goes to show you that solid training can make up for fewer hours.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I spoke with a TC inspector that monitors Jazz and Sunwings and he told me that these young aviators do an excellent job
Which would be one opinion , though amazingly general ('sounds like a President I can think of).

I have be told opposing opinions from equally authoritative sources. I accept the reality that these lower time pilots are right seat more and more, but I'm not relaxed about it.

To the fresh graduates of such programs reading this, consider more than one opinion about flying education and experience, as you build yours....

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

L39Guy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:14 pm Better not book on a Dash 8, Q400, B737 either as Jazz, Sunwings, (and I believe but not entirely sure) Porter and Encore hire straight out of Seneca and Mount Royal. These carriers obviously think highly of the product that these and other schools produce.
Sigh..... and it shows.

I'm sure their FMS button pushing and FMC SPD | LNAV | VNAV PATH skills are just awesome, but as far as airmanship, communications, airlaw, and plain situational awareness go they are sorely lacking.

Like a Dash 8 I saw that decided to go down a closed taxiway, probably wondering why we took another taxiway and backtracked in front of them, and got stuck in a place they couldn't turn around.

Or a SAAB that asked for the visual, then when asked if they had the field in sight they said they didn't.

Or a 737 that asked for a shortcut from the STAR to the ILS, and centre asked if they were going to make it, and they said they were, and two minutes later are asking for orbits because they can't make it.

In these situations.... knowing how to push buttons on something I learned to use in a week and mastered in a month after flying planes made before I was born isn't going to help you.

The worst thing is, this course doesn't even tick the box that airlines for some reason so desperately want.

It's a money grab... plain and simple.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TheRealMcCoy »

So you're completely ignoring my comment even though I've been to one of these so called "top tier" schools? And I was in the Air Force, don't even get me started at that institution...

Keep drinking the kool aid there chum.

L39Guy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by L39Guy »

TheRealMcCoy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:22 pm So you're completely ignoring my comment even though I've been to one of these so called "top tier" schools? And I was in the Air Force, don't even get me started at that institution...

Keep drinking the kool aid there chum.
Yes, I tend to ignore people who call people “idiots” on forums. Call me back when you can muster more respect for your colleagues.

L39Guy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by L39Guy »

iflyforpie wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:58 pm
L39Guy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:14 pm Better not book on a Dash 8, Q400, B737 either as Jazz, Sunwings, (and I believe but not entirely sure) Porter and Encore hire straight out of Seneca and Mount Royal. These carriers obviously think highly of the product that these and other schools produce.
I'm sure their FMS button pushing and FMC SPD | LNAV | VNAV PATH skills are just awesome, but as far as airmanship, communications, airlaw, and plain situational awareness go they are sorely lacking.

It's a money grab... plain and simple.
Of course they wouldn’t have the airmanship, etc compared to someone who has been flying for years. That’s not a particularly profound observation. But what the young aviators have is the chance to make many of those mistakes in a simulator rather than on the line. I hope that we can agree that there is value to simulator training.

As far as those Dash 8, Saab and 737 incidents, how do you know that these aren’t pilots with thousands of hours of experience and not some newbie? Hell, I screwed up a taxi in Copenhagen a couple of years ago and combined the FO and I we had about 35,000 hours of flying experience on the flight deck that day. I can happen to anyone.

Money grab? What’s 100 hours of CRJ/King Air simulator time with experienced pilot instructors worth per pilot? $15,000 ($150/person/hour)? The entire tuition is less than that. I would submit that this is an incredible bargain.

Last edited by L39Guy on Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheRealMcCoy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TheRealMcCoy »

L39Guy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:37 pmYes, I tend to ignore people who call people “idiots” on forums. Call me back when you can muster more respect for your colleagues.
Hahaha, read it again. I wasn't referencing you, or any one person for that matter. Merely stating that a human is the same piece of meat they were going in to school as they were coming out.

It's evident that you are convinced that these are the "best" aviators around, so be it. My, albeit minimal, experience leads me to believe otherwise.

Napoleon So Low
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Napoleon So Low »

L39Guy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:53 pmI would submit that this is an incredible bargain.
Of course you would, you're the one selling it. Some people go out of their way to be polite when they disagree with a poster. Others just call a shill a shill. You are a very good writer. I suspect you've had some professional sales training. You must be very disappointed your cleverly disguised advertisement hasn't produced the desired result.

Return to “Flight Training”