Question About Sault & Confederation Costs

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Thew T
Rank 0
Rank 0

Question About Sault & Confederation Costs

Post by Thew T »

Hi All,

My kid is interested in becoming a pilot (still in grade 11) so i've been doing some research on the various programs out there that are offered.

So far I've looked at Sault, Con and Seneca and I have noticed that Seneca's tuition is $19965 vs $9468 for 3 semesters at Sault and $6273 for Confederation. These are just tuition costs and not including fees uniforms etc.

My question is are the flying costs included in the tuition costs for Sault & Confedeartion or are they extra? They seem awfully low compared to Seneca....am I missing some critical information here?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
---------- ADS -----------

Jag747
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Question About Sault & Confederation Costs

Post by Jag747 »

I'm not sure if Seneca is still subsidized by the Ontario government (flight training fully paid for) or if thats the price per year for a "Degree"

Seneca offers you the whole deal for the lengthy price, a degree, and 4 years of stress.

Sault and Confederation are "advanced diploma" programs which are also widely accepted by major airlines as degrees. Sault is a 3 year program, and Confederation is a 2.5 year program.

Sault offers a Multi-Engine IFR while Confederation does not. (Can be done privately though for a pricy tag)

Sault keeps you in the program for 3 years and you only do academics first semester, but they've been behind too much lately.

To sum it all up: Seneca gives the whole deal, thus a higher $$ per year, and Confed is the quickest and misses 1 major license but it can easily be obtained after graduation.

The only thing to keep in mind is that all these programs have high dropouts in the first year, so be extra motivated to pass if you go Seneca or Sault/Confed. Good Luck!

Thew T
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Thew T »

Jag747 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:33 pm I'm not sure if Seneca is still subsidized by the Ontario government (flight training fully paid for) or if thats the price per year for a "Degree"

Seneca offers you the whole deal for the lengthy price, a degree, and 4 years of stress.

Sault and Confederation are "advanced diploma" programs which are also widely accepted by major airlines as degrees. Sault is a 3 year program, and Confederation is a 2.5 year program.

Sault offers a Multi-Engine IFR while Confederation does not. (Can be done privately though for a pricy tag)

Sault keeps you in the program for 3 years and you only do academics first semester, but they've been behind too much lately.

To sum it all up: Seneca gives the whole deal, thus a higher $$ per year, and Confed is the quickest and misses 1 major license but it can easily be obtained after graduation.

The only thing to keep in mind is that all these programs have high dropouts in the first year, so be extra motivated to pass if you go Seneca or Sault/Confed. Good Luck!
Thanks Jag, it never occurred to me that the difference in tuition may be due to the degree program Seneca offers vs a diploma program.

Great info thanks!

EGW
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EGW »

Confed is 16k total including the flying costs and that gets you an advanced diploma and CPL. (2 years)

Sault is 22k total which gets you CPL multi ifr and advanced diploma. (3.5 years)

Seneca I’m not too sure the exact cost but I believe it’s about 70k total for frozen ATPL multi ifr and 4 years for a bachelors degree.

Saultstudent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Saultstudent »

Hello,
Always a hard decision re schools. Can not speak for Confed, but can speak about Sault aviation.

Here are some of the costs below on top of the tuition fees of about $3700 x 7 semesters. Not including books etc (See below)

I am a current 2019 Sault Ste. Marie College aviation student so can offer some incite. Take a pass/stay away from this school as they have serious flight time issues. There have been many a Reddit post, regarding this which I will post the link below for all. As well now a twitter account (Sault College Aviation Concerns) to try to bring to light some of the concerns to others, even the Mayor of the city has taken note!

First, although a 7 semester/3 yr program, look at a minimum 4 to 4.5 years with little to no down time in the summer to work. So have your education funds all set for the full stay. Refer to the Reddit post links below as to why...

The program is so far behind, I just finished my second year in April, and most if not all of my classmates are still working on their private as of end of June 2019. According to the course outline, our private (PPL) should have been completed end of Semester 3, so a full year behind now. I did my solo around June 2018, about he same time our class wrote their private exams. Following the schools outline again, we should be finishing our Commercial at this point, again most/all of us have not even booked our PPl flight test yet.

We are suppose to be flying 2times a week, if we are lucky, we are flying 2 twice a month on avg. So many of my 2nd year classmates often go 3-5 weeks between flights! This is going to sound crazy, but half of my class on avg only flew 6 times in a 5 month period.

So, last month, the head of the department, Mapp, informed us, that unless we reach a point in our flight training, we CAN NOT enroll in our last year of academics that is semester 6&7. Why, because the academics and the flight training are SO far out of sync. Typically the classes and flight training go hand in had, not 1 year apart. What does this mean, well we were given an "option" stay all summer and HOPE to get some flying in, or you will not be allowed to continue your academics for till Sept 2020, so a year off. So many of us as per the school outline of the program, had planned to go work to pay for the last year. So in short, we are out for a full year as we do not have the funds to pay for our last year. We try to ask the head of the department, but, they said we had to make a personal choose.

Last, flying so inconsistently, many of us are having issue passing our Private pre flight test..test, called recommendation flights. Flying twice a month will do this. My roommates instructor has failed 3/4 his students so far. This means you must do extra flight lessons. If you fail it again, you have to reset and go back to the 3rd semester, and start over. That means you have to pay for that Sem over again at a cost of over $3900 plus. There are so many that this is happening to, they had to extend the dead line to re enroll in Sem 3.

I hope that bring some light in this extended post. From a current student of the Sault College aviation, stay away from this program!! Look to another school, or since you already have the degree, just do it on your own. It will cost more yes, but will be much faster.

Below is the EXTRA cost above the tuition fees. I am posting this as you can see where a student SHOULD be in their flight training Sem by sem. Note again we just finished sem 5 but do NOT even have our private...almost 2 years...after we started

Here is the Reddit LInks form concerned students....

https://www.reddit.com/r/flying/comment ... dium=web2x

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Supplies: Estimated Transport Canada and other Fees:

Semester 1
Category 1 Aviation Medical Physician Fee - $85-$180
Transport Canada Aviation Language Proficiency Test (English) $50 - $75
Headset and winter clothing in preparation for flying in semester 2: $300 to $1000 depending on what you already have

Semester 2
Transport Canada Private Pilot Written Exam Fee - $105
Subscription for the Canada Flight Supplement - $99 per year plus tax

Semester 3
Private Pilot Flight Test - $300
Transport Canada Fee for issuance of Private Pilot Licence - $55

Semester 4
Renewal of Cat 1 medical Physician and Transport Canada Fee - $140 to $235
Transport Canada Fee for Night Endorsement - $30

Semester 5
Renewal of C.F.S. subscription- $99 plus tax
Integrated Commercial Pilot Flight Test - $250
Transport Canada Commercial Written Exam Fee - $105

Semester 6
Renewal of Cat. 1 medical Physician and Transport Canada Fee - $140 to $235
Subscription to the C.A.P. and IFR charts - $69 plus tax
Multi Class Flight Test - $250
Transport Canada Fee for Multi-Class Endorsement - $30
Transport Canada Instrument Rating Written Exam Fee - $35

Semester 7
Group 1 Instrument Rating Flight Test - $300
Transport Canada Fee for Group 1 IFR rating - $30
Transport Canada Fee for Commercial Licence - $80

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Saultstudent wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:17 pm I am a current 2019 Sault Ste. Marie College aviation student so can offer some incite. Take a pass/stay away from this school as they have serious flight time issues.
As a past grad and former instructor there I have to say your post just breaks my heart. Once upon a time my colleagues and I worked our asses off to guarantee that the students who wanted to be on time would be. Sounds like it’s become a real mess since then and i’m sorry to hear you’re caught up in it. I’m sure you already are but try and get in the sim as much as you can to stay sharp on procedures, it will ensure you’re widely spaced lessons are as productive as they can be.

aviation2018
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by aviation2018 »

As a current Sault college student in the 2018-19 aviation program, I can fully validate the ongoing issues as stated above.

The longest I had personally had to wait between flights as about (2) months!! My Semester 5 & 6 flights were pretty much non existent.I think I got in 5 flights IN 5 MONTHS! My other room mate got in 3 flights in 4 months.

I am about $28,000 in total invested so far with school/books/rent...about 2 years here..and still working on getting on my private flight test done.

Some of my friends just gave up after waiting repeatedly 3..4...5 weeks for a flight, and just left the last semester.

Over all it is just hard. We are so far ahead on our class room academics, compared to our flight training. We are a full year behind now. There are a number of students that are failing full, or in part their recommendation flights (pre flight test) for their private. As said above, inconsistent flight training. Roommates friend failed, had to reset back to Sem 3 flight training, and pay the school over $3500. I think he flew last 3 weeks before his recommendation flight.

Some had to go home to work over the summer, so they will not be allowed to enroll in their last years classes. We were not told till a just over a month ago that we were so far behind in flights, we could not continue our education unless got to the minimum flights lesson plan. We tried to talk to management, but basically told ..it is ..what it is...

Just my thoughts..buy..ya...stay away...

Flightlinesault
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flightlinesault »

Hi
Some real issues here at Sault college for sure!

We should not be going into our final year of classes Sept 2019 , and JUST finishing our PPL. This was suppose to be done about a year ago.

Many people I know are failing there pre flight tests as they pretty much did not for weeks, months, at a time year 2. I know many that waited 3,4,5 weeks repeatedly. between flights.

Some just called it quiets.. went back home, tired waiting.

Return to “Flight Training”