Which program to go to? (ONTARIO)

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Jag747
Rank 0
Rank 0

Which program to go to? (ONTARIO)

Post by Jag747 »

Hey everyone. I've decided to ditch the degrees and go for the diplomas. At the moment There only seems to be Sault and Confederation but Sault is pretty much behind and wont be caught up by the time I start (Currently in grade 11) and Confed seems the next best option? What other colleges are out there (Which aren't subsidized) but offer the same type of licenses Sault/Seneca would? I know Algonquin has a CFI rating. The next best option is to do it privately but I want to atleast have a diploma and have no desire to go to college for anything other than flying airplanes. Honestly anything helps and Im considering Confederation. Reddit users say Sault was more like Seneca (Complete stress and competition) and Confederation was more teamwork. (is this true?) I really want to hear more from past and current Confed students. I've never been to Thunder Bay but would love to!

If i were to go to confederation, What license would I be missing? (Multi Engine or something?) and does Confederation even offer any IFR at all? How much would I be looking at to catch up in terms of licenses if I finish from Confederation BUT want to possess the same amount of licenses as the sault grads.

Thanks again for any help!
---------- ADS -----------

EGW
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Which program to go to? (ONTARIO)

Post by EGW »

Hey there,
I’m currently in the same boat as you except a few years ahead. I too decided between sault and Confed and for similar reasons with timelines I chose Confed. I will be attending this September. To answer you questions, at the moment you will finish at Confed in about 21 months with CPL and about 3/4 of your ifr training complete. I know they are working on getting the ifr back and potentially a multi rating there so perhaps by the time you show up things will be different. Sault is also trying to get back on track so I wouldn’t imagine they’d be too far behind in a couple years anyways. However, for me as a student entering this year at Confed, I will graduate with CPL for about 16k and then will have to pay out of pocket another 8-10k to get my multi ifr rating which takes about a month. So In total you’re looking at 26k and approx 22 months of schooling at Confed to get the same licences you would in the Sault in about 3.5-4 years for 22k. Feel free to PM me for more info, but trust me you have plenty of time, and I’m sure both programs will be different in a couple years when you’re coming anyways so don’t worry about the logistics right now. Keep your high school grades up especially calculus, physics, advanced functions, and English and you will get accepted to any school you choose. Good luck!

Flightlinesault
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Which program to go to? (ONTARIO)

Post by Flightlinesault »

Hello
Just some info. We are about a full year behind at the moment with flights at sault college.

To be honest it’s kind is a mess. Our class is trying to finish up our private, PPL, from last summer. So, we are going into our last year if classes in Sept 2019, and really not even starting year 2 flying lessons yet.

A number of student just left year. This after waiting up to 2 months for a flight there are many reports in here with similar stores. Flying every 5 weeks or so repeatedly the last year.

Many are having issues now with their flight tests due to infrequent or consistent flying. To many students nit enough to planes

Hope that helps. You may want to take a pass for a few years here

Return to “Flight Training”