IPC

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

shamrock104
Rank 8
Rank 8

IPC

Post by shamrock104 »

Can anyone share their experience with the IPC in the Redbird? What was covered as well as the oral portion?
Thanks in advance.
---------- ADS -----------

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: IPC

Post by C-GGGQ »

Felt the same as my IFR initial way back when as much as I can remember. Did it in the redbird modelled as a Seneca. Pretty straight forward. Talk them through planning a flight, asked a few questions. Flew the plan with a couple of failures. It was not as bad as I had built it up in my mind

AnonPilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AnonPilot »

When I did mine it was the same routing as my initial ride in Airplane. Ground brief was pretty standard comprehensive IFR ground brief. We were allowed to use the autopilot for the IPC although one of my failures was the autopilot.

Blowin' In The Wind
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blowin' In The Wind »

Have a decent understanding of the Cap Gen, especially the first 38 or so pages (Takeoff minima, Spec Vis, RVO/LVO, alternate minima, approach bans, etc). Expect a few questions on information contained on a LO chart.

For the sim itself, typically most examiners are fine with autopilot use (as mentioned) because the Redbird can be a challenge to hand fly for an entire IPC, but expect an autopilot failure at some point. It’s worth doing a couple single engine ILS approaches in the sim prior to the main event so you are comfortable with how it handles. Also note, recently full and partial panel unusual attitudes have been added to the IPC.

clairvoyant
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by clairvoyant »

Out of curiosity, how did the examiner "fail" the autopilot?
What were the supposedly corrective actions?
Thank You
AnonPilot wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:35 pm When I did mine it was the same routing as my initial ride in Airplane. Ground brief was pretty standard comprehensive IFR ground brief. We were allowed to use the autopilot for the IPC although one of my failures was the autopilot.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Little iPad he gets to control redbird is magic. He can kill whatever he wants. Was very much a non event though. Heard the disconnect, tried to re-establish, hand flew when that failed.

Return to “Flight Training”