IPC before PPC?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

pistonpumper
Rank 0
Rank 0

IPC before PPC?

Post by pistonpumper »

Hey all,

I did my group one instrument rating ride 2 years ago as of last week, (April 14, 2017). I have been instructing VFR for a while now, but have recently taken position in a 705 gig. My question is that since my two years has lapsed, will I need to get an IPC done before I go for training, or will the PPC renew my Group 1 validity? The CAR's I have looked at seem to say that if I do a PPC, my group 1 will renew, but it is not clear if thats only within the validity of the two years, or if I can do it once my rating has "lapsed".

Thanks in advance

PP
---------- ADS -----------

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: IPC before PPC?

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

See CAR standard 725.106 (2) (b)

I would suggest you review CAR part 705. The question you asked was very basic, especially given that you are an instructor you should be very familiar CAR part 7

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Why would an instructor be ‘very familiar’. With the 705 CARs?
I can understand 702 & 703, but 704/705. Really?

Are instructors teaching 705 standards? Are FTU’s operating under 705?

Maybe I am deeply out of touch with flight instruction today, but your comment about VERY familiar struck me as the kind of nonsense the neoTC folks liked to toss around to make themselves feel oh so superior.

I would like to give you the benefit of the doubt, so please post the answers and provide some enlightenment.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Instructors should be proficient in navigating the CARs. Layout for the 703 vs 704 vs 705 regulations are very similar, some of the regs are copy and paste from the other sub-parts. An instructor, proficient in navigating the CARs, who accepted a 705 job should be studying the appropriate regulations and it shouldn't be too difficult to find the answer.

Also, to be a 705 FO, one will need the ATPL exams or the IATRA exam passed. All of those test knowledge of the 705 CARs so the basic understanding should be there.

Big Pistons Forever is a bit rough around the edges and doesn't sugar coat anything, but the point of his message was correct.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

In retrospect I should have made an effort to be more polite in my response. It is easy to be rude on the internet but that accomplishes nothing except getting people mad at you.

However that being said I stand by my message.

The CAR’s are the regulations which govern our profession and you will be held accountable for your compliance to those regulations. I believe it is the responsibility of flight instructors to educate their students on the structure and layout of the CAR’s and be able to help them navigate the CAR’s web page to find the answer to the more common issues, especially those effecting commercial operations. To do that they obviously must be familiar with the CAR layout and can help students look up information.

In that context I would would want an instructor to, when asked “do I need to do a new IPC before my 705 PPC, or does the PPC renew my IFR” to say

Let’s look it up
“OK let’s go to the menu for CAR 705. It would most likely be in the training section so let’s look there. Nope not there so let’s look at the associated standard, 725. Ok here’s the bit on training , there is the sub paragraph on PPC’s and there it is.”

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Well, we can all be bit rough around the edges.

I , unfortunately did not read your post as an instructor being familiar with how to search the CARs, but in fact, being very familiar with the 705s specifically. I misconstrued the intent of your comment.

Yes, I do agree that the op should be able to search the CARs themselves, ( and not just because they are an instructor) but it seems in the world today, people seek answers from social media rather than taking time to look things up themselves...and we all know the answers one gets on social media are never wrong.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Does the letter "c" in those stand for cookie?

Increadible Peacan Cookies

Peanutbutter Peanutbutter Cookies

If so, I'd probably call that second one DPC.

Return to “Flight Training”