Cornwall aviation or elsewhere?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

firstofficer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Cornwall aviation or elsewhere?

Post by firstofficer »

I’ve Seen and heard a lot of positive reviews about Cornwall aviation so I’m considering them but open to any other suggestions. I just need to do my Multi-Engine rating and upgrade group 3 to group 1 IFR. If one prepares beforehand thoroughly how can I complete this? What are the actual prerequisites for the IFR upgrade? Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

Daigo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Cornwall aviation or elsewhere?

Post by Daigo »

Pretty sure all you need for the ifr upgrade is just a flight test on a twin so you can skip the ifr training and just do the multi training (Cornwall can get u done at 5-6hours) then the ifr flight test. Although to do the test u need a recommendation so that will probably require some training...

nbinont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nbinont »

Agree with Diago. I was in the same position. You need a Multi rating flight test and an IFR flight test (or IPC) in a multi. Review the guides: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/p ... m#training For the Multi rating, study the flight test guide AND instructor guide. For the group 1 test / IPC, it's the same as your group three plus a engine failure and single engine approach.
Flight tests require recommends, IPC does not. You need to send TC flight test reports for both the multi and IFR/IPC. They also need two rating applications (multi and IFR).
You most certainly will need some training - mostly to get familiar with the aircraft and handling engine failures for your multi ride. Although not required, you'll be well advised to fly a few multi engine approaches (including the engine failures) under the hood before doing your instrument ride.
Good Luck!

zealer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by zealer »

For a group 3 to 1 upgrade, you can self-recommend. The multi training will teach you the engine failure drill and subsequent flying characteristics, then you can just do a practice flight or two with the IFR approaches and you should be good to go. Upgrade is just done at the field itself shooting the Cornwall RNAV approaches.

Learn multi, learn Garmin 430W and that’s it.

redlaser
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by redlaser »

I do most of the multi training at the st.thomas airport located East of st.thomas, the aircraft is a piper Apache with 160hp engines, not counter rotating, a true twin. And the aircraft is well equipped with radios, GPS, etc

Don't let your wife talk you out of buying an airplane, :D

Return to “Flight Training”