Sault Aviatoin, is it as bad as many have posted..

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Sault Aviatoin, is it as bad as many have posted..

Post by PilotDAR »

Pilots want to move up the food chain.
AC and Westjet will have to do something.
Okay, I get it, AC and Westjet should require that applicants should demonstrate that they have been a flying instructor long enough to serve the industry, before they are considered for hiring to line flying...

The somebody who should do something could also be the consumer of the service. If the service is instruction, ensure that you are making the instruction service attractive to the instructor. If the instructor is working for peanuts, and feeling unappreciated, they'll want to move on. Yet the student would like to have a highly experienced instructor - attract the instructor by appreciating them, and willingly paying for the quality service you would like to receive.
---------- ADS -----------

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Very sad what has become of this school. It used to be a top notch training program. But it was also run by hardass ex-military guys. Less than 1/3 of the initial class graduated and the students were not free to follow their own self directed schedules. If you weren’t a ppl by the end of the first summer, you were out.

BBsault
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BBsault »

Hello Shinyjetsyndrome

Seems that Sault has a long history then of poor performance if you were in the same boat 2.5 years ago. I just wish more students posted so I would of known before accepting the offer.

Just to comment though, it is not just that one person but pretty much the entire class. Going into this month Aug 2019, most of my class did NOT have their PPL, not just "Keeplying" . Here we are, weeks away from starting our last year,3rd year, and still there are many working on their PPL. I can assure you though that this is not a lack of wanna from the students, but more the result of poor upper management by Sault College.

" I flew once a month and I once had 15 flights cancelled in a row because of weather. It sucks, but you can still make it work if you really are committed".

Not sure about this if the system is broken. There were so many in my class that went 4-5 months of flying 1-2 times per month. There were many that went over 5 weeks without flying. I know of a few here that went 2 months and flew 1 time!

The real issue now is passing the recommendation flight with infrequent consistent flying the last year! Many have failed. If you fail, you have to pay about $3500 to re enroll in Semester 3 from year 1, even though we are going into Year 3 Sem #6 This also means you have to almost start over at flight lesson #1 which is crazy, why not work on the issues, but to have to redo about 30 flights lessons again. It has taken almost 2 years to get to this point, and they want you to start over.

I just hope all these posts help others that are thinking of going to Sault.

BBsault
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BBsault »

JohnnyHotRocks

Yes, things need to change for sure. I understand that the Chair of the program, Mapp, just jumped ship and....umm...quit. :oops: He is heading to another flight college in the area. To many parents perhaps knocking on his door, calling him asking what the heck is going on, why are they so far behind, why after this long does my kid not have their PPL.

"If you weren’t a ppl by the end of the first summer, you were out."

NONE of our class had their PPL by the end of the first summer!! Here we are ending the Second Summer, most of he class are still trying to finish their PPL when we started August .

Last edited by BBsault on Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.
CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

This would be a tough job to come into at this point, but for the right person it could be huge for the program.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=134063&sid=f1202888 ... f4d55988ab

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

If this is fraud -- relax everyone I didn't say it was -- certainly would not be the first time in post secondary institutions---

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

How many students make it to semester three?

Return to “Flight Training”