Radio license

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

ghazanhaider
Rank 2
Rank 2

Radio license

Post by ghazanhaider »

I've been a PPL for almost 10 years. I remember getting my radio license years back. I realized that it is not a requirement for a PPL in Canada. This is echoed in the Copa guide to buying airplanes as well.

At what point does one need a radio license? Is it when you cross the border, or upgrade to a CPL, or convert to an FAA license, or none of these cases?
---------- ADS -----------

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Radio license

Post by C-GGGQ »

Did that change? I was always told it was required.

final28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by final28 »

For the pilot a radio license is required before flying solo.
The requirement for the aircraft to have a radio license was removed, at least for flights within Canada and to the US.

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

According to Industry Canada (Spectrum) ....

An Radio Operator Certificate-Aeronautical is required by operators of radiotelephone equipment on board aircraft and at aeronautical land (fixed and mobile) radio stations using aeronautical mobile frequencies. The radiotelephone equipment at such stations shall be of a type that requires only simple external switching, has a power output not exceeding 250 watts effective radiated power (e.r.p.) – equivalent to 400 watts peak envelope power (PEP) – and where all frequency-determining elements are preset within the transceiver.

Unless otherwise exempted, all radio stations in Canada must be licensed by the Minister of Industry Canada. Please consult your local Industry Canada office for details.

The licence (or copy thereof) must be made available at the request of an Industry Canada inspector.

The radio station licence generally specifies the call sign of the station, the frequencies to be used for transmitting and any special conditions under which the station should be operated.

To obtain a radio station licence, a completed licence application form with the prescribed fee should be submitted to Industry Canada. To be eligible for licensing in Canada, radio equipment must be type-approved or found to be technically acceptable for licensing by the Department.

There's some good guides available on their site (ic.gc.ca).
Search for RIC-21, RIC-22, and RBR-1

"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I would have thought the answer was obvious. You need a restricted radio operator's certificate when ... you operate a radio.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

The radiotelephone equipment at such stations shall be of a type that requires only simple external switching, has a power output not exceeding 250 watts effective radiated power
Good grief. Most airplane radios are either 5W or 10W.

From the Industry Canada website:
Licensing Requirements
Do I need a licence for the aeronautical radio equipment on board my aircraft?

You will not require a licence if you meet both of the following criteria:

the aircraft is not operated in the sovereign airspace of a country other than Canada.
the radio equipment on board the aircraft is only capable of operating on frequencies that are allocated for aeronautical mobile communications or aeronautical radio navigation. You can verify whether the frequencies you use are in the aeronautical mobile band by referring to Regulation by Reference (RBR-1).
In theory, if you fly into the US you need a radio station licence.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.

Return to “Flight Training”