Help: Im stuck and can't decide what to do

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

jaylaw16
Rank 0
Rank 0

Help: Im stuck and can't decide what to do

Post by jaylaw16 »

What I want to achieve: Commercial pilot

I am currently enrolled at my local University in a business degree with a major in accounting program. I work full time and go to school while taking 2 classes a semester including summer semesters so I still have time outside of work and school. To finish my degree at the pace I am at it will take just over 3 years but if I transferred out of the program I would be able to have a business management diploma, by only taking one course. There is also a local university that offers an Aviation diploma, with almost all my courses being able to transfer, I would only need to take about 1 semester to have an Aviation diploma, plus all the flight time.

-When i ask a flight school they say come to me, don't put all your eggs in one basket
-When I ask the university offering the Aviation diploma they say, this will give you a major advantage

There is also a university about 4 hours from me (making me move) which is part of the Jazz APP program which will make me retake most of my classes and live on a strict schedule, but offers interviews and job opportunities at 250 hours and 500 hours for those who graduate top of the class.

Everyone tells me their way is better, depending on who I am giving the money to. So I would like to ask everyone here, what they think will give me the best success

Should I:
Continue for another 3.5 years to get my full Accounting degree
Switch and take one class to get my business management diploma
Transfer schools and credits and get my Aviation diploma in about one semester
Drop everything and hopefully get accepted into the Jazz APP program

Thank you all for your time and look forward to your responses
---------- ADS -----------

AR705
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Help: Im stuck and can't decide what to do

Post by AR705 »

Good to put some thought into this. I have lots of experience with post-secondary education having several degrees in sciences and having taught both university and college. Less experience flying only having recently taken it up as a hobby ~200 hr PPL/float etc.

The big question is what do you want to do? I make a good salary and have a good work/life balance... But you know, if I talked to 20-26 year old self, not sure I'd do it the same way - maybe just because it's good to keep learning and trying new things.

IF you want to be an accountant and in business world, you need to finish your degree. And likely will want to do more (MBA etc) at some point). And good for you to be working in between. I know many many people who end up finishing school with tons of debt. You don't want to be there. Also, it's hard to get good jobs in your early to mid-20s in the private sector. Just the way it is. So you're on a good path to finish degree and have work experience too.

If you don't necessarily care for accounting (math and numbers and want to sit in a cubicle or office all day), don't keep doing a degree in accounting. Absolutely no shame in not finishing it. What you've done so far won't hurt you.

BUT - as my parent's claim to always have said. You need an education in something (in whatever it is that you want to do). And from what I see, it's tough to get hired for any job without some kind of degree/diploma these days. It gives one a measure of credibility - gets you in the door - and then you're on your own to prove you're worth keeping around.

IF you want to be a pilot, and I were in your shoes, being almost finished, I'd still highly value a business diploma. If it takes only one course and you don't have to move, assuming you're in reasonable housing situation, transfer and get the business diploma. Won't hurt - especially if you drift in other directions later in your career (and frankly can go back to accounting degree at any point - but the older you get, the less employers care about which piece of paper you have).

After that, I'd transfer to get the aviation diploma where they give you the most transfer credits (i.e. less time to finish). Don't go anywhere that makes you re-take courses to end up with the same piece of paper at the end of the day. This is however where I have less experience (in aviation world), but I don't think it's worth re-doing courses and moving etc for the promise that you MIGHT get interview/job etc. Get the papers that you can get as quickly as possible. Not sure if you've started flight training yet but it's a lot of work... And you want to focus on it. And nothing saying you can't start flight training while finishing up with diplomas etc. Work hard, do well at that, and I'd think you'll have no trouble getting interviews/entry level jobs with two diplomas and pilot licenses (and frankly being a bit older also adds to perception of credibility/reliability).

Hope that helps! Good luck in whatever path you take. Either way, nothing you've listed would need to be permanent!

DaddyShark
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DaddyShark »

jaylaw16 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:09 pm Should I:
Continue for another 3.5 years to get my full Accounting degree
Switch and take one class to get my business management diploma
Transfer schools and credits and get my Aviation diploma in about one semester
Drop everything and hopefully get accepted into the Jazz APP program
Thank you all for your time and look forward to your responses
Facts:

1. You do not need an aviation diploma to become a professional airline pilot
2. Having a degree/diploma will give you a better advantage if you want to fly for a mainline carrier, but there is more to that than just the degree/diploma
3. Everyone will say what they need to say to get your money

You'd be taking on a huge amount of debt to finish the accounting degree and start flight training. Since you want to become a commercial pilot I'd finish the business diploma and dive into flight training sooner than later at full speed. The sooner you can finish your ratings/licenses, the sooner you start working. No need to do the aviation diploma if you have something in your hand already.

All avenues will lead to the same destination.

Vsquared
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Vsquared »

As the poster above said, everyone will tell you what you want to hear to get your money.

If I were you I would start flight training immediately and do the single course for the diploma.
Also depends on what time frame you're hoping for.
If you started flight training right away and worst case scenario took a full year, you could work an entry level job for a year to build hours, and then jump on with an airline at 500-750 hours, therefore you're at the same place at the same time. Except you will have made money working as a pilot for a year instead of spending that time doing the APP program.

jaylaw16
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jaylaw16 »

Thank you all for the replies! I have my Class 1 Medical booked for the 7th and if all goes to plan (which it should), I will start flying

TT1900
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TT1900 »

Complicated question with lots of variables that are hard to predict. I’m a proponent of gaining qualifications beyond aviation if for no other reason than you may lose your medical. I’ve watched several colleagues go through it and it’s always worse for those who don’t have any accredited skills beyond flying. Additionally, commercial aviation is a crap shoot and you’re only one event from a lay-off. On the other hand, the increased debt and 3-4 years of lost seniority could be worth millions depending how your career unfolds.

What sort of timeline is required for degree completion. Could you get the diploma and still work up to the degree part time, 2-3 courses per year over 5-6 years? If yes, that is the route I would go.

jaylaw16
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jaylaw16 »

My current job I'm on a rotating shift of either 9-3 or 3-8 and very flexible for time off or switching shifts witch works perfectly with my school. For me to finish the degree at my pace of 2 classes a semester including summer semesters its about 3.5 years. I could get my business management diploma with one class next semester.

The plan would be to fly while still working. My current job pays decent, I'm making about $70K, so with my flexible hours I would plan to fly as much as I can either in the morning or the afternoon, depending on the shift I have that day. I would like to keep my job while I do this, keeping my debt down as much as possible.

If I was to fly while taking 2 classes and ground school my timeline to get everything done would be greatly extended and paying for 2 schools, flight time, rent, etc will put a huge load on me. I am open to this option if this path would give me an advantage in the long run.

Return to “Flight Training”