Licence numbers

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Licence numbers

Post by ogopogo »

I was licenced in 1978 and was issued a six digit number beginning with a 2, preceded by three letters, first YZP, then YZC. Learned to fly at Brampton, NC3.

Just curious what numbers are currently being issued 40 odd years later, and whether the three-letter prefix is still being issued.
---------- ADS -----------

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Licence numbers

Post by Outlaw58 »

My very first licence was prefixed by ULP which meant issued by Montreal office (UL) and private licence (P).

There were other codes, I don't know them all but I remember ULC-Commercial, ULD-Helicopters and I believe ULA was airlines.

These days, we are still in the 6-digits, and the prefixes are now only used informally to specify the licence type (as in AA32xxxx - for a airline fixed-wing) since this form of writing license number does not appear anywhere in the aviation booklet that is now used today.

Hope that answers your question :)

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

The numbers are assigned in blocks by region. Some lower numbered blocks are for applicants outside Canada.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Interesting. Mine ended with PA. 3xxxxx-PA

I thought that meant Private Airplane. Maybe it was Private Alberta.

As mentioned, in the ADB it only listed the six digit number.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

Outlaw58 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:15 am My very first licence was prefixed by ULP which meant issued by Montreal office (UL) and private licence (P).

There were other codes, I don't know them all but I remember ULC-Commercial, ULD-Helicopters and I believe ULA was airlines.

These days, we are still in the 6-digits, and the prefixes are now only used informally to specify the licence type (as in AA32xxxx - for a airline fixed-wing) since this form of writing license number does not appear anywhere in the aviation booklet that is now used today.

the "aa" or "ca" or "pa" etc. actually still shows under your physical license number on the sticker :).
license.png
license.png (16.61 KiB) Viewed 1888 times

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Mine is two distinct licenses on the same page of the booklet, though with the same six digit number: CPL(A) CA22xxxx, and PPL(H) PH22xxxx, but they are two different "Licenses" on that page. That's probably because one is fixed and the other rotor.

When I was a student in 1976, it was YZX22xxxx, then changed to YZP22xxxx with my private, then the "YZ" was dropped for "PA22xxxx", then "CA22xxxx" when I got my commercial.

I do know a couple of old timers whose license numbers are only five digits.

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

the "aa" or "ca" or "pa" etc. actually still shows under your physical license number on the sticker :).

license.png
Damn, I didn’t know I could wear my shades and strike a jaunty pose for my document booklet picture.

Edit: It’s a Self Adhesive Stamped Label, not a “sticker”. :wink:

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Cessna 180 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:38 am
Outlaw58 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:15 am My very first licence was prefixed by ULP which meant issued by Montreal office (UL) and private licence (P).

license.png
Ah yeah that's right!!

Should have pulled out my booklet LOL!!

Got 3 stickers in mine... AA, AH and PU :). That last one is one of the first one I got.... been carrying it since (ultralights)

W5
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by W5 »

My first Canadian license was QMC-7992. P was for Private ,C was Commercial, S was Senior Commercial A was Airline Transport. Each class had a different coloured stripe diagonally across the license. The first two letters was the region (QM, UL, YZ, WG, EG and VR). Later on the numbering changed to coincide with your file number. Now my license reads AA131***

Return to “Flight Training”