Flight Instructors - Please read

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

avcraig
Rank 1
Rank 1

Flight Instructors - Please read

Post by avcraig »

I was going over my logbook earlier and decided to come up with some figures for different phases of my PPL training.

First Solo - 20.6 hours
PPL - 96.6 hours
Training time was over about 3 and a half years (balanced with high school full time, flying on the weekends)

For those of you that train students regularly, or used to, would you say that my experience was fairly average to most students, below average, or above average? Asking just out of curiosity.
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Flight Instructors - Please read

Post by photofly »

The national average for a PPL is 71 hours.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=117428&p=1004490

Regrettably, TC doesn't collect statistics on number of hours at first solo.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
shamrock104
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by shamrock104 »

This really depends on several factors. From what I have noticed is students that fly several times a week normally progress a little faster. Age wise I have noticed that the younger student who comes prepared and actually wants to be there also progress quicker.
I’ve had people who come thinking they know it all and are somewhat more difficult to teach.
On the other hand there are also schools out there who are more about the profit margin than actually seeing a student progress along with Instructors who are using it as just a stepping stone.
Hope this helps a little.

Float_lover
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Float_lover »

Hard to tell, with 2 flight per week, my solo flight are between 12 and 18 hours, but under a flight per week, it's hard to tell.

And again, over 3 years, 90 hours can be normal. My usual PPL are round 55 hours even with 1-2 flight per week.

The best way to save money is to fly very often!

But at the end, it's a matter of safety!

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

And again, over 3 years, 90 hours can be normal. My usual PPL are round 55 hours even with 1-2 flight per week.
How many finish in the minimum time for the license?

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

I don't have access to any data but someone here must:

Every year, qualifying Royal Canadian Air Cadets undergo training leading to their PPL/wings at various FTUs across Canada. This training is completed during the summer months... Probably July and August.

It would be interesting to get data regarding the questions raised by the OP: it would probably show the benefit of concentrated training over a short period of time.

Anyone involved with Air Cadet training?

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

I instructed the Air Cadets in the summer of 2006. I had 4 students. Looking at my records, here's the breakdown:
Please note that all 4 students had their Glider License before starting their PPL (about 15 hours in Gliders)

Student # 1 - Solo at 7.5, Finished License with 45.1 (31.2 Dual, 13.9 Solo), Flight Test Score 119
Note * (Exceptional Student, Father flew for Air Canada, and had access to family's private plane)

Student # 2 - Solo at 9.6, Finished License with 45.0 (31.3 Dual, 13.7 Solo), Flight Test Score 107

Student # 3 - Solo at 8.5, Finished License with 45.0 (30.2 Dual, 14.8 Solo), Flight Test Score 110

Student # 4 - Solo at 10.3, Finished License with 46.0 (32.0 Dual, 14.0 Solo), Flight Test Score 108
(Failed Force Landing 1st Time, Passed on Second Attempt)

If I recall correctly, ground school in the morning with flying in the afternoon for 2 students, reverse for the other two. Flight were scheduled Mon-Sat for 6-7 weeks; 1 flight a day, and during solo stages twice a day. Sunday was rest/study day. Normally started around Canada Day, and finished mid August

Past that I also had students complete a PPL in short order.

Student # 5 - At Flight Test recommend, 33.4 Dual, 10.9 Solo, Flight Test Score 111
Student # 6 - At Flight Test Recommend, 37.5 Dual, 11.7 Solo, Flight Test Score 100
Student # 7 - At Flight Test Recommend, 36.3 Dual, 11.6 Solo, Flight Test Failed Ground Portion due nervousness, Re-test Score 100

"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

G_W: thanks for that. There is no doubt that Air Cadets are motivated; however, those figures go a long way to explaining what can be accomplished if flying training is encompassed in a relatively short period.

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

photofly wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:59 am The national average for a PPL is 71 hours.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=117428&p=1004490

Regrettably, TC doesn't collect statistics on number of hours at first solo.
It also doesn’t collect the calendar time between starting training, to solo or completion. Given that there is a lot of integrated courses happening in this country at any given time, the hourly time to completing a PPL is also not including all the students who are essentially skipping that stage in the process, yet still progressing on to hold CPLs.

We also don’t have any data on incomplete training either. Either way, the picture isn’t complete when it comes to assessing overall effectiveness of pilot training in Canada.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
yhz41
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by yhz41 »

99.6 hours over 3 years is pretty average

Float_lover
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Float_lover »

C.W.E. wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:50 pm
Outside cadet, it's very rare to see someone finish in the 45-50 hours range.

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

Float_lover wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:31 pm
C.W.E. wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:50 pm
Outside cadet, it's very rare to see someone finish in the 45-50 hours range.
Outside of cadets, it’s very rare to see anyone commit to doing their PPL in two months.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.

Return to “Flight Training”