Flying Through YYC Class C Question

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

anewbertapilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Flying Through YYC Class C Question

Post by anewbertapilot »

Hi there,

Please excuse my lack of knowledge, I recently completed my PPL in a small town and have no experience operating in busier airspace, nor can I find the exact procedures by googling.

If I want to fly through Calgary airspace to get to my destination what are procedures for doing so ?
Do I need to file a flight plan ?
Or can I go as per usual on my itinerary.
Do I contact Edmonton Center or the VFR ADV frequency for my clearance into and through the airspace?

Hopefully someone here can help me out, and I'm sure it'll benefit someone else going forward who may have the same question !
---------- ADS -----------

JAHinYYC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Flying Through YYC Class C Question

Post by JAHinYYC »

No need to apologize for asking a question to clarify when you don’t know the procedure. We all had to start somewhere and better to ask than to blunder through.

The VFR routes are depicted in both the CFS and the YYC terminal air chart. These will set out landmarks which will be call up or mandatory fly over points. Being somewhat familiar with these prior to arriving will help you sort it all out.

Please take up to date charts with you. Especially since it is your first time.

Traffic in YYC lands primarily on the two parallel runways which run north-south unless there are very heavy westerly winds making 29 the only useable runway (quite rare).

ATC will want to keep you out of both the approach path as well as the departure end for both runways.

Assuming you are crossing from west to east or vice versa you will likely be asked to detour way north or south to stay clear or given a route overhead the field to minimize conflict.

If you are transiting north-south or vice versa you will be given a steer around the airport.

There is a VFR frequency 119.40 IIRC for traffic east of the reservoir (not exactly but close enough) and a separate one for west of the field.

Ensure you have mode c turned on on your transponder and call before you get to the airspace boundary. Better that they ask you to call back closer in than for you to enter without establishing your clearance.

Lastly, why not file a flight plan? Personally I would feel better about search and rescue coming to look for me an hour after I was overdue than 24hrs.

Good luck and have fun.

If you are not a jerk to them the controllers are excellent and very accommodating in the YYC airspace.

anewbertapilot wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:56 pm Hi there,

Please excuse my lack of knowledge, I recently completed my PPL in a small town and have no experience operating in busier airspace, nor can I find the exact procedures by googling.

If I want to fly through Calgary airspace to get to my destination what are procedures for doing so ?
Do I need to file a flight plan ?
Or can I go as per usual on my itinerary.
Do I contact Edmonton Center or the VFR ADV frequency for my clearance into and through the airspace?

Hopefully someone here can help me out, and I'm sure it'll benefit someone else going forward who may have the same question !

nbinont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nbinont »

anewbertapilot:

The requirements are those for class C airspace - you need a clearance from the controlling entity. Look at your VNC and notice the communication boxes around the airspace (either Calgary Terminal or Calgary Tower). Call them up on that frequency, and get your VFR clearance from them.

Generally, call up Terminal a little ways out on your way in and go from there. Recognize that there will be jet traffic into/out of CYYC, so maybe don't plan to ask to fly over short final in front of a jet or something similar. If in doubt, there's nothing wrong with asking Terminal what the preferred route through their airspace is.

No flight plan required (but usually a good idea).

You can call Centre up and ask for fight following if you wish. Again, not required, but a good idea.

FYI: the usual set of frequencies to get into a big airport is: Centre/Terminal/Approach/Tower/Ground. Getting out is: Clearance Delivery/Ground/Tower/Departure/Terminal/Centre. Not all airports have all frequencies, and often some are combined.

Good luck on your flight and fly safe!

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Don't be timid but don't goof around either. Hold your altitude and heading. It's important that you are not off lolly gagging in the wrong place. You're on radar so they know if you can't go where you are supposed to be going. If they say, "Fly a heading of 170 at 5000 feet." You say, "Gxxx fly 170 at 5000." And do it.

That being said they will be nice as long as you fly as close as you can. Enjoy and learn to fly like you belong there.

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

Remember 2 things about dealing with ATC of any kind. First, it’s their job to help you. Second, nobody is perfect, and while occasionally someone gets pissy about it, there is no “permanent record” or some such silly shit that is being kept against you. If you fly enough in controlled airspace, you’ll hear everyone screw up, red and teal do it, ATC does it. It’s not the end of the world. Just try not to do it too often.

In reality, while most pilots think that it’s their radio use that needs to improve, if you struggle talking on the radio and flying, it’s your flying that needs to improve so it doesn’t take up too much of your cpu that your brain can’t process language anymore.

Just go flying.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
Choppermech1986
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Choppermech1986 »

Unless it's very quiet, expect terminal to take the easy way out and take you way North or way South. I can fly right over the top of LAX in Class B airspace but heaven forbid I try to transit YYC's Class C!

(I know controllers are trying their best, it's the system that's broken)

BGH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BGH »

This might help,found in the cfs,there may also be a vita available.<br /><br />Daryl
This might help,found in the cfs,there may also be a vita available.

Daryl
50D2C9D2-1AAA-4795-8AE4-2D2E4A63FF33.png (778.35 KiB) Viewed 2862 times
r

blue thunder
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by blue thunder »

I fly helicopter regularly in YYC airspace. No big deal. Call 1-888-882-2254 and get a code before entering (from the east on 119.40. If you come through Springbank, they will give you a code to clear you through, unless you are above Springbank airspace, then call ahead and tune in to 128.70) These guys are great and if you follow their instruction, they 'gift wrap' you through their area. The odd time some controller will steer me way north or south of the active parallel runways, but most times they weave you through. It can be intimidating if you are not use to busy aerospace, but it's all good! I've had them put me right over the threshold of the runway just to let someone land below. Edmonton is much the same, call for a code, pretty low key there compared to Calgary.

triplebarrel
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by triplebarrel »

If your ever in Calgary or coming to Calgary message me I can meet you for coffee and show you on the charts how it's done. It's not hard whatsoever.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Choppermech1986 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:04 pm Unless it's very quiet, expect terminal to take the easy way out and take you way North or way South. I can fly right over the top of LAX in Class B airspace but heaven forbid I try to transit YYC's Class C!

Yeah.....I'd like to ask the next person who tells me how insanely busy YOW or YYC airspace is....if they've flown GA in the NYC or DC area.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I flew in to DC national airport back when you could do that in a Warrior II. It was fun.

I got barked at for messing up my read back.

Controller who doesn't mess around after that guy landed a light single on the national mall in front of the White House but before 9/11 said in a firm voice, "That's not what I said!"

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Choppermech1986 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:04 pm Unless it's very quiet, expect terminal to take the easy way out and take you way North or way South. I can fly right over the top of LAX in Class B airspace but heaven forbid I try to transit YYC's Class C!

I laughed.

It's surprisingly casual flying around the Los Angeles region. I was with a local instructor and we stayed south of the LAX control zone but there are more airports close to other airports than I have seen anywhere else.

rotorspeed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rotorspeed »

I would think all this would have been learned in flight training and prep for the written. I started my flight traing at yvr so I guess I'm being too hard

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Just stay under the airspace and head to the North around Airdrie airpark and you don’t need to speak to anyone.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Why would you want to avoid speaking to anyone? That would be like trying to find a driving route that only takes alleys so you don't need to look at traffic lights.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

More importantly, how is he getting out of YBW nordo?

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

ahramin wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:51 am Why would you want to avoid speaking to anyone? That would be like trying to find a driving route that only takes alleys so you don't need to look at traffic lights.
Radio chatter interferes with the morning news on QR77.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Beefitarian wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:39 pm More importantly, how is he getting out of YBW nordo?
Unfortunately, YBW won’t allow you to leave NORDO anymore. They’ll let you go without mode C, but you can’t re-enter the zone thereafter so keep that in mind.

You can ask for an altitude below the YYC class C, and YBW tower will clear you enroute just north of 1A. No need to speak to terminal thereafter, as you’re in uncontrolled airspace.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

All the club 172s have mode C so I'll be ok coming back.

Next question. If I fly the citabria will they let me use the grass beside 34?

Return to “Flight Training”