Canadian flight training in the US.

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Vico56
Rank 1
Rank 1

Canadian flight training in the US.

Post by Vico56 »

Hi guys !

I have a question, I’m a Canadian flight instructor, and I’m going to do a fly trip in the US next month, with one of my student. It’s mostly time building towards his CPL, but can we log instrument time (or even dual) while flying there ? As long as we’re flying with a Canadian plane it’s ok ? The plane is private and not from a flight school. Would it be a problem ?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Foregone
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Canadian flight training in the US.

Post by Foregone »

Yep, you can log dual as well as instrument time. No change. I've flown a lot of private as well as instruction flights between Canada and US airspace.

Foregone
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Foregone »

Just be sure to familiarize yourselves with the slightly different airspace structure and ATC rules. It's mostly the same though.

Foregone
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Foregone »

Also, I'm sure you've done the research, but there is the registering for the EAPIS account for the crew and contacting US customs prior to entry if landing.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Vico56 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:51 pm Hi guys !

I have a question, I’m a Canadian flight instructor, and I’m going to do a fly trip in the US next month, with one of my student. It’s mostly time building towards his CPL, but can we log instrument time (or even dual) while flying there ? As long as we’re flying with a Canadian plane it’s ok ? The plane is private and not from a flight school. Would it be a problem ?

Thanks
You don't even need to be flying in a Canadian aircraft. None of the practical experience requirements for any licence or rating specify the nationality of the airspace or aircraft. As long as the instructor is appropriately rated, and if a private aircraft is used then it must be owned by the student (for PPL) or meet the arm's-length requirements (for other training.) Of course national laws apply to the flight, but that is distinct from CARs training requirements.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Vico56
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Vico56 »

photofly wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:39 am
Vico56 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:51 pm Hi guys !

Thanks
You don't even need to be flying in a Canadian aircraft. None of the practical experience requirements for any licence or rating specify the nationality of the airspace or aircraft. As long as the instructor is appropriately rated, and if a private aircraft is used then it must be owned by the student (for PPL) or meet the arm's-length requirements (for other training.) Of course national laws apply to the flight, but that is distinct from CARs training requirements.
It’s for time building, and a couple of instruments hours so that’d be ok ?

Thanks all for your answers

Return to “Flight Training”