Logging Non-IFR SIM Time

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

TopGun1234
Rank 1
Rank 1

Logging Non-IFR SIM Time

Post by TopGun1234 »

Is non-instrument SIM time worth logging? I haven't found a satisfactory answer to this question.

I’m doing my instructor rating and there are lessons that the flight school does in the SIM. Lessons like Attitudes & movements, S&L, Climbs & descents etc.

The log book only has SIM under Instrument time. So where would you log SIM time that is non-instruments. Do you log it at all?

Thanks,
---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
cps-medium-professional-pilot-logbook.jpg
cps-medium-professional-pilot-logbook.jpg (106.44 KiB) Viewed 623 times
TWSC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Logging Non-IFR SIM Time

Post by TWSC »

I don’t believe a logbook determines what you can and cannot log based on the columns it has. e.g. there’s no specific column for floats, but you can use an empty column like the one on the right or just cross out an irrelevant one. SIM time is just mostly in an IFR environment. I’d look at the specific CARs relating to requirements for the instructor rating to see if they allow for the logging of sim time towards training

TopGun1234
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TopGun1234 »

TWSC wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:34 pm I’d look at the specific CARs relating to requirements for the instructor rating to see if they allow for the logging of sim time towards training
As per the CARS, "A maximum 5 of the 30 hours may be conducted on an approved aeroplane simulator or flight training device."

I know you can count non-instrument SIM time towards the rating. I was more wondering, in the grand scheme of a pilot's career, does logging non-instrument SIM help you in any way. It doesn't matter for the ATPL does it? Would future employers care for knowing it? Do you do it?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

" I was more wondering, in the grand scheme of a pilot's career, does logging non-instrument SIM help you in any way."

They are extra hours.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.

Return to “Flight Training”