Human Factors CPL Written

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

GAPILOT
Rank 1
Rank 1

Human Factors CPL Written

Post by GAPILOT »

So I have kept Human Factors for last, thinking it was a small portion in comparison with the rest of the topics. Now that's true when I refer to Sharpers Edge but definitely not when I do it through Pilottraining.ca. For example, I was learning about Spatial Orientation and it went so in depth (54 slides deep to be precise) that it spoke about the Semicircular Canals etc. My question is (especially to the people who have already attempted their CPL written) is it important to know so in depth for the CPL written (even though its good knowledge to have).

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Human Factors CPL Written

Post by youhavecontrol »

Been a while since I wrote it but I'd say it sounds like those slideshows might be a bit overkill. You could check the TC study and reference guide to see what topics it will ask about our look for a practice exam. The slideshow is probably good stuff to know but maybe just commit the key points to memory. Nothing wrong with knowing more than necessary as long as you still recall the necessary stuff for the test.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

Unfortunately its stuff like this that has happened to CPL courses since TC increased the time required for its ground school requirement from 40 to 80 hours. There was never much guidance on what they felt was to be covered in greater length, only that more time was required. This of course led to many stretching the time it took to cover some subjects by going into substantially more detail, in many cases more than what any pilot would generally need.

As a general rule I've always been opposed to time requirements as a measurement for any training. By necessity they have to take into account the slowest individual, and don't take into account different students have differing levels of study ability, reading speed and comprehension, and base aptitude. Training requirements should focus on results and proficiency as opposed to "building time".

That said, knowing about how one gets spatially disoriented is useful knowledge. As a bit of practical application one should note that the advice to "keep one's head on a swivel" should be clarified doesn't mean to keep your head in constant motion looking for stuff, which is a sure way to give one's self a case of vertigo.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
Vsquared
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Vsquared »

Recently wrote my CPAER. Obviously theres different versions of the exam but I dont recall having any questions regarding the specifics of the inner ear tubes or whatever.
Know all the symptoms for hypoxia, carbon monoxide, etc.
Know your alcohol, fatigue, underwater diving, anesthetic rules.
Be familiar with all the illusions and what can happen; upsloping runway, downsloping, black hole, slight steady turn in imc, graveyard spin or whatever its called.
Everything else is kind of common sense.

GAPILOT
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by GAPILOT »

Thank you all for your detailed answers. I definitely agree with Squaretail, that should NOT be the way to judge if a student is ready for an exam or not. TC MUST up their game!

Youhavecontrol I have been saying that since I got here and thats not only the case with Human Factors but with many other things on Pilottraining.ca, a lot of things are overkill.

Vsquared thank you so much for the latest insight on CPAER.

Return to “Flight Training”