Turnaround time for first Aviation Medical

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

EastCoastWings
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Turnaround time for first Aviation Medical

Post by EastCoastWings »

FL290 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:35 pm I just upgraded from a Cat 3 to Cat 1. I saw the CAME on October 1st and just received the new sticker in the mail today. I am in the Atlantic Region.
Someone must like you, even the supervisor from the local TC office can't get an answer from M.C. in Ottawa
---------- ADS -----------

hank998899
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by hank998899 »

photofly wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:21 pm Time to write to the Minister. Seriously.
Yup, my flight instructor told me to write an email to my MP and the Minister. My MP responded, Minister didn't. They said they will try to look into the issue and expedite it.

EastCoastWings
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EastCoastWings »

I managed to find the number for the actual Dr and called her, had my medical sorted out in a day with M.C. cut out of the middle.

Pilotdaddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pilotdaddy »

EastCoastWings wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:10 pm I managed to find the number for the actual Dr and called her, had my medical sorted out in a day with M.C. cut out of the middle.
Three months later and still waiting.

I did as you mentioned last month and I believe it somewhat helped push my file to Ottawa for review. I've since given additional reports to TC but what kills me is the archaic nature of the process.

Ottawa needs further reports so the process is as such...

Ottawa mails Toronto office
Toronto office mails me
I mail Toronto office
Toronto office mails Ottawa

This is easily a one month wait.... And in 2019, when encrypted email, fax, cell phones are available, it's certainly very frustrating.

/rant

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

And they do NOT care that there are job possibilities waiting while they do this.

Pilotdaddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pilotdaddy »

Are you saying that delays are also normal during renewals? So if you are over 40 with a Cat I (validity 12 months), would you then go and do your check up at the 9-month mark to allow for a 3-month buffer?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Renewals are instant, valid as soon as the CAME stamps your ADB or certificate.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
EastCoastWings
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EastCoastWings »

Pilotdaddy wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:20 pm
EastCoastWings wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:10 pm I managed to find the number for the actual Dr and called her, had my medical sorted out in a day with M.C. cut out of the middle.
Three months later and still waiting.

I did as you mentioned last month and I believe it somewhat helped push my file to Ottawa for review. I've since given additional reports to TC but what kills me is the archaic nature of the process.

Ottawa needs further reports so the process is as such...

Ottawa mails Toronto office
Toronto office mails me
I mail Toronto office
Toronto office mails Ottawa

This is easily a one month wait.... And in 2019, when encrypted email, fax, cell phones are available, it's certainly very frustrating.

/rant
I feel ya, once TC decides they want additional information, the whole process is archaic. I submitted an official complaint with TC and they replied back that "Civil Aviation Medicine is currently in a period of transformation with initiatives underway to enhance service delivery".... I'll believe it when I see it :roll:

Pilotdaddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pilotdaddy »

Ninety-six days later and I am finally approved for the Cat 1! Given the two round trips of my file to Ottawa for further review, I guess it wasn't too bad after all, considering some of you have also been waiting for months and have fewer complications.

koto
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by koto »

I’m going for my initial cat 3 medical next week. Should I be expecting the same wait times? Is it just the AME that evaluates you or do they request your medical records from your family dr as well and then make the decision?

Pilotdaddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pilotdaddy »

I believe 90 days is the standard wait. The AME evaluates you but, if I remember correctly, it goes up to the regional doctor for final approval if it's your first one versus just a renewal. Also, for the initial, you need a ECG. I suggest you get that ECG before you even see the AME and then line up any documentation from your family doctor if you think that there are issues that may need to be looked upon deeper by TC. That way, you cut the back and forth. They only correspond via snail mail and it adds weeks to the process whenever they request additional testing or reports from your family doctor.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I don’t think most people need an ECG until they’re 40. Most CAME offices are set up to do an ECG at your appointment, so I wouldn’t trouble about it in advance unless you know you have a borderline cardiac condition.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Pilotdaddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pilotdaddy »

photofly wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:55 am I don’t think most people need an ECG until they’re 40. Most CAME offices are set up to do an ECG at your appointment, so I wouldn’t trouble about it in advance unless you know you have a borderline cardiac condition.

My CAME didn't have one on site so maybe I just lucked out. I did have a borderline condition as you know so I had those tests beforehand. For Cat 1, I believe the ECG is necessary even for folks younger than 40... For Cat 3, you get a pass until 40, at which point you have to do it anyway within a few years. I wonder what happens if you get a Cat 3 say at 20 years and then fail the ECG at say 43 years of age? I guess the revoke, appeal, re-appeal process with TC begins?

koto
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by koto »

Cat 3 medical was done on Jan 2nd and I called Transport Canada today and found out that it was approved yesterday. So a tad bit over 3 months.

Return to “Flight Training”