Newbie here. Best flight school close to Port Coquitlam?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

im333
Rank 0
Rank 0

Newbie here. Best flight school close to Port Coquitlam?

Post by im333 »

Hello all,

Looking for your kind help please. I’m completely new to flying and live in Port Coquitlam. I’m interested in learning and attaining my PPL and don’t mind travelling within reason to an airport other than Pitt Meadows.

I have a day job and looking to fly just for fun! I’ve started reading reviews here and elsewhere but feel a little overwhelmed with which school to go with.

Any genuine recommendations are really appreciated. Thanks in advance,

im333
---------- ADS -----------

lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Newbie here. Best flight school close to Port Coquitlam?

Post by lhalliday »

Since you live in PoCo, Pitt Meadows is your obvious first choice. Why not go there and talk to people? You're going to be spending a lot of money and need to know what the schools are like, sooner rather than later.

When I was looking for a flying school I talked to one at Boundary Bay who handed me a folder and told me to get back to them if I had any questions. The other, at Langley, talked to me for a while while we sat in a plane. Three guesses who got my money.

...laura

im333
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by im333 »

Thanks Laura, fair point.

That’ll be my next port of call. I am edging towards Pitt Meadows as it’s half way between work and home so ideal.

Just wanted some info from others on which school they’d recommend at PM

Im333

tombrooks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tombrooks »

im333 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:46 pm Hello all,

Looking for your kind help please. I’m completely new to flying and live in Port Coquitlam. I’m interested in learning and attaining my PPL and don’t mind travelling within reason to an airport other than Pitt Meadows.

I have a day job and looking to fly just for fun! I’ve started reading reviews here and elsewhere but feel a little overwhelmed with which school to go with.

Any genuine recommendations are really appreciated. Thanks in advance,

im333
Hi Im333. I'm in a similar situation to you and live close by. How did you get on finding a school? Would be interested to hear about where you went and what your experience has been like.

im333
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by im333 »

Things are on hold presently given the covid scare!

Where has your research lead you to?

tombrooks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tombrooks »

im333 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:20 am Things are on hold presently given the covid scare!

Where has your research lead you to?
I'm looking at all options still. Have been leaning towards Skyquest as many reviews I've read (albeit most are a couple years old) have been generally positive, but my experience when going there was that I got a bit of a "cold shoulder"; I didn't really feel that they were that interested in talking to me, perhaps as it was so busy that day which I guess is understandable.

I'm leaning away from Boundary Bay (all training schools) as I've read that the airport is very busy and is 0.2 hobbs away from practice area so you'd have to deal with a lot of time spent just "commuting" to the practice area. I've read good historical things about Langley Flying School, but most recent reviews suggest that it's going downhill. Haven't had a chance to visit anyone at Pitt Meadows yet, but that's next on my to-do list when the opportunity arises. I was hoping to get some initial thoughts from people who have recently been students to inform me a bit better before I go out there.

I guess you mean you've not yet started either (given the Covid scare)? What have your conclusions been on the best local school?

im333
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by im333 »

Pitt meadows is very close to me and is ideal. The covid scare will be putting a bit of a brake on thighs as getting the license is an expensive feat!

tombrooks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tombrooks »

im333 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:49 pm Pitt meadows is very close to me and is ideal. The covid scare will be putting a bit of a brake on thighs as getting the license is an expensive feat!
I've sent you a PM, not sure if it's reached you?

Return to “Flight Training”