After Shutting Down the Aircraft

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

After Shutting Down the Aircraft

Post by pelmet »

It is amazing all the garbage one finds in some rental aircraft. Paper, pencils, plastic bottles, etc. I try to clean it out because it bothers me. Then there is the post flight stuff. I always say to myself....Mags off, Master off, flight plans closed. Then one can check the aircraft interior and lock the flight controls(if appropriate), chock/tie down the aircraft(as appropriate), put on the canopy cover(only after getting Hobbs/tach time as appropriate), any other appropriate items for that aircraft that may vary by flight school. Some even want a post-flight walkaround.

Thus email I received today from a flight school pretty much sums it up.....

"It has come to our attention that numerous students and renters are failing to properly secure the aircraft after their flights. These failures include NOT installing control & rudder locks, properly tying down the plane, or in some cases, leaving the master switch on. This is not acceptable. High winds and other adverse weather conditions can cause undesired and excessive movement to these surfaces that may cause damage to the aircraft rendering it un-airworthy. Since this is becoming a chronic issue, if any of the above listed items occur, the aircraft in question will be GROUNDED, inspected by our staff, and the individuals who have failed to install the control locks or leave the master switch on will be charged a MINIMUM of $100 for the labor of the inspection. In the event that the master switch is left on, that renter will be charged the cost of a new battery and its installation. Additionally, trash found in the aircraft may result in a charge as well, or expulsion from our system. We implore you to follow your checklists and take care of our aircraft as if they are your own."
---------- ADS -----------

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: After Shutting Down the Aircraft

Post by rookiepilot »

I did not need a checklist to know how to, at the end of a flight,pretty much from my very first lesson:

Shut down the aircraft,
Secure the aircraft
Clean the aircraft.
Do the paperwork.

When not done, that's something that no checklist would ever fix......

The last 11 words cover it. In life.
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Flight Training”