Looking for a flying program Vancouver

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

vincentkit111
Rank 0
Rank 0

Looking for a flying program Vancouver

Post by vincentkit111 »

Hey guys!

I'm quite new to this. My goal is to be an airline pilot quickest possible way. I'm planning to do this full time.

Any recommended Flying school/program that could help me achieve my goal quick?

Are there schools with airline partners for job placement?

I'm looking at Montair's IATPL program. Is that recommended? Would it be better to take ppl, cpl etc.. individually?

What are your recommended schools? Most threads I see are old.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
---------- ADS -----------

Vsquared
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Looking for a flying program Vancouver

Post by Vsquared »

Looking at that program; $90k is insane.
Sure, you get to write your saron and samra exams, but you'll still have a frozen atpl until you get your atpl hours which is essentially the same as getting your license for a lot less and writing the iatra to work FO multi crew. Maybe I'm wrong.

I dont know about airline placement or how it works where they have such agreements, and also dont know anyone that went that route.
Airlines seem to be pretty strict on 750-1000 hours for FO positions right now, unless you start at a smaller regional.

Maybe im misunderstanding you, but you have to take your ppl and cpl individually since a prerequisite for the cpl is having a ppl.

vincentkit111
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by vincentkit111 »

I’m now leaning towards Coastal Pacific’s integrated program or BCIT’s 64 week diploma course. Anyone familiar with these? Any advantage in taking the diploma course?

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

You get an 8.5 x 11" piece of paper, could be on one of those fancier heavy stocked papers and usually there's a shiny stamp on it... Frankly, it's not all that useful getting an aviation diploma, but to each their own.

You could save the money that colleges and so called "integrated programs" will charge you for all the superfluous crap, go to an FTU of your choosing and crank out your licence in a much quicker timeframe than any program allows. And, you could get in some extra hours if you wanted to - or get different ratings/experience that college programs don't offer. Say for example float flying or tailwheel, or aerobatics.

As an aside, Montair isn't interested in you as a student unless you're coming from China.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Sure seems to be an active market in milking overseas money for all it's worth.

Simple solution:

Ban it. Support Canadian pilots. No foreign students. Just like property rules.

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:17 pm Sure seems to be an active market in milking overseas money for all it's worth.

Simple solution:

Ban it. Support Canadian pilots. No foreign students. Just like property rules.
Not how it works. Most of these “foreign students” aren’t coming here to take jobs from Canadian pilots. They go home to fly for domestic carriers. They’re here because flight training is uneconomical or not available in their home countries.

kaoandy1125
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kaoandy1125 »

vincentkit111 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:39 pm I’m now leaning towards Coastal Pacific’s integrated program or BCIT’s 64 week diploma course. Anyone familiar with these? Any advantage in taking the diploma course?
While I think BCIT’s Program is not bad, they don’t get you into PASCO after completion at 200 hrs
The way it works is you have to work for PFC as an instructor, you get an early interview, but want you to keep teaching till around 1500hrs then they take you, which is kind of weird...

vincentkit111
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by vincentkit111 »

Hey thanks so much! You seem to know what you are talking about.

What is PASCO?

Is there an advantage having a diploma then? What would you recommend?

It should be similar to all other industries that employers have top preferences of schools.

Which school/program/certificate would give me the best advantage all things being equal? Let’s say same experience, same hours and ratings. Which school will give you an edge?

kaoandy1125 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:38 pm
vincentkit111 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:39 pm I’m now leaning towards Coastal Pacific’s integrated program or BCIT’s 64 week diploma course. Anyone familiar with these? Any advantage in taking the diploma course?
While I think BCIT’s Program is not bad, they don’t get you into PASCO after completion at 200 hrs
The way it works is you have to work for PFC as an instructor, you get an early interview, but want you to keep teaching till around 1500hrs then they take you, which is kind of weird...

Return to “Flight Training”