Go solo prior to going to a flight college?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

mircea172S
Rank 0
Rank 0

Go solo prior to going to a flight college?

Post by mircea172S »

Hello, everyone,

I was looking at Confederation's 2 year pilot program and it looks promising given it subsided, however I only have a few hours under my belt. So prior to going there should I get my recreational license or at least go solo to be more prepared there?

Thanks in advance,
Mircea
---------- ADS -----------

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Go solo prior to going to a flight college?

Post by Beefitarian »

No. Why? Either go there or go to a normal flight training unit. Don't do half and half.

Personally I couldn't go to a college mostly because I am terrible academically but I used to want to and think they are a good thing if you can go.

Like my dad said once, "You can always dig ditches if you have a PhD." However, you can't be called Doctor without one."

Back on track. If they are going to train you ab initio then get subsidies for the whole things. You want to pay to fly, rent later and build your night pilot in command time.

mircea172S
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mircea172S »

i've gone to Seneca College for aviation operations so i've got that diploma to fall back on to at some point, but the only reason i would go to the flight college its because its substituted.

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

i've got that diploma to fall back on to at some point,
I'm curious as to know what job you feel that qualifies you for? Seriously, lots of programs offer these as part of their flight training, but they always seem sort of nebulous as to what specific job that one is aiming for with that education.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

but the only reason i would go to the flight college its because its substituted.
I believe you mean subsidised.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Way back when I was looking at postsecondary options, I already my PPL. I went to look at Western's and Seneca's programs and advised them that I already had 60 hours or so, and what that means for the first stage of training at their programs. I asked if I could skip the first flying phase (PPL) so I could save my money and rejoin the flying program at the next stage. Both programs advised me that my hours were essentialy "worthless" and that I'd have to start back in THEIR program with Lesson 1 (Attitudes and Movements) to ensure that I meet their standards of flying.

So long story short, I continued my flight training at a small FTU in the summers, and went to University (Non-aviation related) in the winter. I was able to complete my licenses and ratings at my own pace and on my own schedule, and I finished with a BA and a CPL/MIFR/Instructor Rating, same as if I would have gone to one of the big schools.

Things might have changed, and you could always call the school to confirm, but don't feel the need to build hours or go solo before going to one of these programs... while it may build confidence, they may make you start from scratch again anyways.

Just my 2 cents.

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

Beefitarian wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:49 pm No. Why?
I'm of the opinion that every hour of stick time betters yourself as a pilot. I have never regretted the money spent on any additional instruction time. If you have the finances to do the flights privately, go for it. It'll put you ahead of the curve if you do decide to go for a degree program. Will the institute discount you for the hours? Highly unlikely. If you don't have the finances then the degree program is not the least expensive way to get a pilot license anyways.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

But why bother going solo before attending the college? As DHC-1 jockey points out they will just have you start at the first lesson even if you have a PPL.

Buying time just to repeat things seems odd. If you were set on the college program, go do it then spend the extra money later on getting night PIC time after that's done.

Return to “Flight Training”