Traditional flight schools Or College Programs?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

MrCrowley666
Rank 0
Rank 0

Traditional flight schools Or College Programs?

Post by MrCrowley666 »

Hey good people of Avcanada,

Im a 19yo foreigners looking to do my flight training in canada, recently got accepted into OTTAWA AVIATION SERVICES (OAS) for the Integrated ATPL course, costs 85k without tax. They require monthly installments of around 5k per month for 18 months. You graduate with a "frozen" (yes ik) atpl, a fully fledged CPL with ME and Instrument ratings and a multi crew pilots license.

However, after browsing the forum ive come across threads of college programs, and how the cost is subsidized by the government.

My question is will the subsidized price apply to foreigners as well? And if its worth it getting into OAS? Considering the job situation for a foreigner in canada? I would be very thankful for all of you guys' input.

Thanks and happy flying!
---------- ADS -----------

snowcrest
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Traditional flight schools Or College Programs?

Post by snowcrest »

MrCrowley666,

I currently attend Seneca College's aviation program. The cost for international students for ONE YEAR comes out to over 70k (thank heavens I'm domestic). Not sure about other college programs, though I assume they are around that ballpark. Also, "frozen ATPL" just means they let you write your ATPL exams. You can't get your ATPL until you reach 1500 hours.
You're much better off going ahead with OAS.
May I ask why you're looking at out of country options?

-snowcrest

All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you.
mircea172S
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Traditional flight schools Or College Programs?

Post by mircea172S »

You could spend easily 50k if you go pay as you go. Also take a look at confederation college, they're offering a 2 year commercial pilot program for $17k. Not sure if there's a different price for international students but you could call them and find out.

Return to “Flight Training”