fifty reasons to find a new instructor

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

fifty reasons to find a new instructor

Post by photofly »

I have long thought we need to keep track of these.
FreelanceInstructor wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:18 pm Slow flight... If your instructor gives you a specific power setting and airspeed to ballpark, find a new instructor and tell the old one to change careers.
telex wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:52 pm If your instructor is confused about the difference between IFR and IMC I might suggest a new instructor.
trey kule wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:00 am If your instructor is to lazy to look out or think they are the only one that needs to know, show them the recent photos of the 172 in Ft. mac....that had an instructor on board.
If they dont get it, or get upset....get a new instructor...
I'll keep a lookout for more, and post them here.
---------- ADS -----------

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: fifty reasons to find a new instructor

Post by photofly »

GoinVertical wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:11 am
Spinwmts wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:31 am Yeah I'll have to touch base with my instructor about Forced Approaches. He rarely bring them up since my PPL.
Tell him to smarten up or get a new instructor. ...
Excellent.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

What's wrong with the first one? Targetting a specified speed shows that you can control the airplane in slow flight, no?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
CanadianBird
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CanadianBird »

digits_ wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:00 pm What's wrong with the first one? Targetting a specified speed shows that you can control the airplane in slow flight, no?
He said "target a specific power setting and speed". Both will differ with wind conditions, altitude, direction of wind. You can't just "Pull it back to 1800 rpm and slow up". Plus, that's not what the reasoning is for slow flight. It's to understand what it feels like just before a stall. If you are looking at only airspeed and power settings to determine when you might stall, I suggest you fins a new instructor as well.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

CanadianBird wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:35 pm
digits_ wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:00 pm What's wrong with the first one? Targetting a specified speed shows that you can control the airplane in slow flight, no?
He said "target a specific power setting and speed". Both will differ with wind conditions, altitude, direction of wind. You can't just "Pull it back to 1800 rpm and slow up". Plus, that's not what the reasoning is for slow flight. It's to understand what it feels like just before a stall. If you are looking at only airspeed and power settings to determine when you might stall, I suggest you fins a new instructor as well.
I agree with the general idea of your post, but ehh... power settings differing with wind conditions and direction of wind?

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

That guy in a other thread who's instructor said 2 seperate runways can't be intersecting for the purposes of alternate minima because they share the same pavement. That was hilarious. What, is there a contagious asphalt disease that can be spread by intersection?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

DanWEC wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:10 pm That guy in a other thread who's instructor said 2 seperate runways can't be intersecting for the purposes of alternate minima because they share the same pavement. That was hilarious. What, is there a contagious asphalt disease that can be spread by intersection?
While it is not relevant for Canadian ops, it is not that weird that you pay particular attention to crossing runways. EASA defines it as:
Separate runways. Runways at the same aerodrome that are separate landing surfaces. These runways may overlay orcross in such a way that if one of the runways is blocked, it will not prevent the planned type of operations on the other runway. Each runway shall have a separate approach procedure based on a separate navigation aid.
I could not find a similar definition for Canada.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Just slip out the back Jack?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

CanadianBird wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:35 pm If you are looking at only airspeed and power settings to determine when you might stall, I suggest you fins a new instructor as well.
Fantastic - they're even cropping up inside this thread!

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

I think photofly has underestimated how much Canadians dislike their instructors, I think this at the very least could be 101 reasons to find a new instructor. If not a thousand reasons to find a new instructor.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
seven-oh-nooo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by seven-oh-nooo »

I myself would like to fight* anyone who puts a given number of fingers on the glare shield to use as some sort of reference. If you’d like a common trait of the weak aviator that might be the easiest to spot.

*Before I got out of flying I used to try and educate them. Note that this post doesn’t make me a bad instructor because I no longer instruct.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

I myself would like to fight* anyone who puts a given number of fingers on the glare shield to use as some sort of reference. If you’d like a common trait of the weak aviator that might be the easiest to spot.
For sure that is right up there with " Look at the far end of the runway " to judge height during the landing for sheer lack of understanding of how to judge height in that phase of the flight.

Some deep thinker came up with that during the eighties and it became the accepted method of teaching landings for many instructors.

One would think that instructional methods would get better as time passes, not worse.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

If the amount of acronyms you've been taught exceeds your flying hours: find a new instructor.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

If your instructor likes surfing their instagram account during lessons, get someone else.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

digits_ wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:19 pm
DanWEC wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:10 pm That guy in a other thread who's instructor said 2 seperate runways can't be intersecting for the purposes of alternate minima because they share the same pavement. That was hilarious. What, is there a contagious asphalt disease that can be spread by intersection?
While it is not relevant for Canadian ops, it is not that weird that you pay particular attention to crossing runways. EASA defines it as:
Separate runways. Runways at the same aerodrome that are separate landing surfaces. These runways may overlay orcross in such a way that if one of the runways is blocked, it will not prevent the planned type of operations on the other runway. Each runway shall have a separate approach procedure based on a separate navigation aid.
I could not find a similar definition for Canada.
Good reference!

However I only read that as only a slight change. If one runway is blocked I think we can generally agree the odds of an intersection also being affected, because of the the entire length somehow being inop, would be very rare except for massive accident or construction.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

If your instructor likes surfing their instagram account during lessons, get someone else.
It seems to me that FTUs could resolve this with two simple changes.
1. A poster in clear sight at the exit to the flight line, stating something like
“. Mobile phones are not to be used for non operational calls or texts during flight lessons”, and
2. As part of a student handbook (orientation) emphasize the FTU commitment with a money back guarantee to any student for their entire lesson if their instructor uses their phone for non operational purposes....
....and charge the cost back to the instructor..with zero tolerance for all the deflection excuses.

I am fairly certain the practice would end very quickly.

As to many of the other issues, an instructor code of conduct should be developed by all FTUs, though it is difficult to be to strict when the effective rate you are paying your instructors is about $8.00 for their time.

Most of the instructors today are young people with very little real work experience. And most of them will respond well if expectations are clearly laid out.
Not so much, if an FTU considers giving a longer syphon hose as a perk, and the directions to the local food bank.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
FreelanceInstructor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FreelanceInstructor »

haha thanks photofly for actually starting this thread. As much as I don't want to admit to it, there's actually a reason I've started freelancing. FTU's generally have created a bad environment to get a pilot license, and with it, complacent instructors who are usually content with using the skills they used to pass their Class III/IV ride to teach other students. This holds especially true with the drying instructor pool we have now.

However, I do also think there are good instructors out there, ones that actually has a moral compass that believes it's their duty to make sure the pilots they teach make correct decisions every day for the rest of their lives. Those are the instructors a student wants. If your instructor is on instagram/facebook while teaching you, isn't teaching you required items on the flight test guide, or generally unattentive...well, it's time to find another instructor. Keep this thing alive!

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

As horrible as we all know instructors are I just met and flew with yet another one that instead of causing me to question why I am paying them to ride around with me. I am inspired to improve my skills again. And that is impressive since I am bit emo and have advanced add.

Oldguystrtn2fly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Oldguystrtn2fly »

My instructor told me after three or four lessons to put away the checklist so i could learn to do it from memory......

FreelanceInstructor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FreelanceInstructor »

Oldguystrtn2fly wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:59 am My instructor told me after three or four lessons to put away the checklist so i could learn to do it from memory......
I do actually agree with this approach....some what. I am a huge advocate for flow checks, coupled with using the checklist as a true check list. When you go to the grocery store, you pick out the crap you need, then go through the list to make sure everything was in the cart. Using this approach, there is an added level of safety that really only takes a few extra moments. However, until you fully understand why you are doing the items on the checklist while completing a flow check, you can't just put away the checklist and learn it from memory. Moral of the story, however you decide to do the required tasks, always always always follow it up with the checklist. If not, you'll end up a statistic at some point.

Return to “Flight Training”