fifty reasons to find a new instructor

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: fifty reasons to find a new instructor

Post by 5x5 »

Beefitarian wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:38 am Here's one. "Any conflicting traffic please advise." Is being taught as proper radio procedure by real life instructors. I am not joking.

Some of these instructors are excellent in my opinion.
An Instructor that actively teaches students to say that simply cannot be considered as excellent.
---------- ADS -----------

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Meh. I suppose they might be kind of terrible if all you wanted is talking on the radio lessons.

It's a procedure they are told to follow.

I suspect that school is not the only one.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

It's a procedure they are told to follow.
Told to follow by who?

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I didn't ask.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

5x5 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:24 pm
An Instructor that actively teaches students to say that simply cannot be considered as excellent.
Wow.

We need a new thread: "an instructor cannot be considered excellent if they manifest this one single flaw..."

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Alex335
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Alex335 »

youhavecontrol wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:43 am If your instructor:
-doesn't brief, check your work or assess your threshold knowledge before a lesson
...you need a new instructor.
I couldn’t stand the instructors who go overboard on briefing time just to go over material covered in the FTM, or ground school. Why even read the FTM if were going to fully “brief” it, or even worse have a 100 page slideshow coving each lesson regurgitating FTM content in PowerPoint. I’m sure as hell not paying $70hr to review the FTM for a mind numbing 30-60min each flight that covers new stuff.

Took me a few try’s before finding a couple instructors on the same wave length. Would just ask me to read what I needed to know, ask me a few questions about the material during preflight/dispatch and in the air within 20-30min. Plenty of time to brief in the air enroute to the PA, or during an actual demonstration.

I don’t know how fresh PPL students put up with this, but I see it every time I’m at the airport. 3-4 instructors holding hr long briefings about attitudes/movements, drawing out what the sight picture looks like in straight/level or a left/right turn ect. Basically just wasting time and money doing a briefing on the ground that could be done in 5 minutes in the air with demonstrations. Like why even draw or show pictures of sight pictures 😂? Just put the aircraft in those attitudes, or have the student do it so they can see the sight picture for themselves.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Most of the stuff you need to know before you fly a lesson is not in the FTM.

(I’m tempted to retort to myself that most of the stuff you need to know before you fly a lesson is probably not in the instructor either, but that would be churlish.)

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

How about "most of the stuff you need to know to fly you will learn after your flight test"?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

One hopes the involvement of an instructor can hasten that learning...

Return to “Flight Training”