PGI question

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Laythe
Rank 1
Rank 1

PGI question

Post by Laythe »

So I just got billed by my flight school for the PGI's I'd done during training. However they were all charged at the instructor rate of $65, however a lot of these PGI's had up to 6 other students attend. Is it normal to be charged the 1 on 1 rate for group PGI's. I thought it was split amount the attending students. My instructor sure didn't get paid by 6x the amount so what's the deal?
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: PGI question

Post by digits_ »

I would not be happy with that. If you pay for private instruction, you should get private instruction. Where was this? Which province?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

Laythe wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:48 pm So I just got billed by my flight school for the PGI's I'd done during training. However they were all charged at the instructor rate of $65, however a lot of these PGI's had up to 6 other students attend. Is it normal to be charged the 1 on 1 rate for group PGI's. I thought it was split amount the attending students. My instructor sure didn't get paid by 6x the amount so what's the deal?
That's just the school being greedy. When I taught I would offer group classes and split it between them no problem at all. Definitely bring that up to someone. Like you said, not like the instructor is getting paid more. Absolutely gross.

Laythe
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Laythe »

This at Springbank Air Training College In Alberta. For my PPL and CPL almost $13,000 in PGIs alone even though almost all were in a group of 4 or more.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

Laythe wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:40 pm This at Springbank Air Training College In Alberta. For my PPL and CPL almost $13,000 in PGIs alone even though almost all were in a group of 4 or more.
Well, if thats the way they do it and its common there, they wouldnt change it cause theyre making more money off of less work. Too bad most students obviously wouldnt know any better

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

That is disgusting. Unless you were an extremely slow student.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Laythe wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:40 pm almost $13,000 in PGIs alone
JTFC.

Laythe
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Laythe »

digits_ wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:01 pm That is disgusting. Unless you were an extremely slow student.
Not a slow student. Finished my CPL in a grand total of 210 hours. Just a little over the minimum, only ever did 1 PGI repeat and that was back for my first cross country after I filled in the log wrong. Unfortunately PGIs weren't something I logged. Also my Instructor who I talked to about this also told me he believed that they would be charging at a split rate. This whole situation is absolutely ridicules, and of course no idea what my chances of getting those charges removed are...

KissPlusOne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KissPlusOne »

Seems like you're not the first person to have complaints about Springbank:

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/former-stude ... -1.4628252

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

13000 cad/65 cad/hr gives you 200 hours of pgi. That is ridiculous. An hour pgi per flight for every flight?

Ask them for a breakdown. For such an amount, that should be your right. Are you allowed to post the detailed invoice? Maybe groundschool or flight instruction got mixed up in it.

Laythe
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Laythe »

KissPlusOne wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:20 pm Seems like you're not the first person to have complaints about Springbank:

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/former-stude ... -1.4628252

Hence why I looked into my billing, seems if you left any money on the school account these mystery charges appear.

It seems on the very day I started my commercial ground school, they charged the $550 for my ground school, but also on that same day I have 2.3 in ground instruction charges, I didn't even fly that day all we did was the ground school.

Conflicting Traffic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Conflicting Traffic »

If I was in your position and the facts as you've presented them here are accurate, I would first confirm with them that the bill is not a typo. If it is, great, they can fix that fast. If not, I'd insist on a detailed breakdown and then wouldn't discuss it with them any further. Instead, I'd take the breakdown and any other records and go straight to a lawyer.

----------------------------------------
Conflicting Traffic please advise.
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Anyone else reading this: NEVER EVER EVER LEAVE MONEY ON ACCOUNT AT A FLIGHT SCHOOL....EVER

Return to “Flight Training”