What should a PPL student know before first solo ?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

What should a PPL student know before first solo ?

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

The discussion on the other thread got me thinking and rather than hijack the thread I would start a new one.

My observation is that there seems to be a fairly wide range of opinion on this, ranging from send them solo as soon as they are just good enough to get around the circuit without bending the metal to they only should go on their own if they could navigate to an airport 100 miles way .. running while troubleshooting an aircraft system malfunction.

Personally I think before any student goes solo they should have the ability to deal with problems that can reasonably occur in a manner that will ensure a safe but not necessarily tidy or optimal outcome. Since I taught at Victoria which is a busy controlled airport, these included:

1) A change of runway while airborne

2) A radio failure on the ground or in the air

3) A flap failure

4) A diversion to Nanaimo if the airport was suddenly closed ( eg emergency in bound or an accident at Victoria)

5) An EFATO

6) an engine failure in the circuit

7) Electrical burning smell, smoke in the cabin

The good news is that 1,2,3,6, 7 can all be demonstrated during circuit training. This is not in depth training but exposure. So for example a radio failure is squawk 7600 and fly a normal circuit and watch for the green light. The electrical smell/smoke is turn off the master switch and fly a normal circuit and land flapless which they have already done. The EFATO is briefed and one PFL is demonstrated. The emphasis is all on setting and holding the proper glide attitude and pointing the aircraft at a flat area.
The diversion is also briefed in which the instruction is to fly NW pick up the shoreline and fly along it which will lead you directly to the Runway in Nanaimo. When Victoria tells you they are clear of the zone call Nanaimo on 122.1 or if you can't remember the frequency call them on 121.5
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: What should a PPL student know before first solo ?

Post by photofly »

I'd like whoever it is to be able to land properly. The rest is gravy.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

photofly wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:42 pm I'd like whoever it is to be able to land properly. The rest is gravy.
Yes this is obviously the priority but I believe that you can pour a little gravy on the fresh meat while doing the teaching to ensure the "able to land properly" test is satisfied.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I think your list of topics is pretty good.

I'd add some knowledge of the aircraft systems. The student is taking command of a machine, and really should know a bit about how it works and how it's wired up.

Also, that in the event of a problem, they should ask for help from (eg) ATC. A first (or in fact any) solo flight is not an occasion to try to be a silent hero.

By the way, practicing (5) has a special radio phraseology in CAP 413:

FANSTOP: I am initiating a practice engine failure after take off. (Used only by pilots of single engine aircraft.) The response should be, “REPORT CLIMBING AWAY”

I would like to see that adopted here.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

For the few times I have sent pilot solo, a prerequisite was that they could land properly power off from down wind - not just enter a glide and power out of it, but actually land power off consistently well. That, combined with the mantra "Aviate, Navigate, communicate" firmly set into their minds will give them an honourable chance in most situations I have encountered in the circuit.
4) A diversion to Nanaimo if the airport was suddenly closed
I like Nanaimo, ('got friends there!) I'll have to remember that! But it's going to be quite a diversion for some of our readers! :wink:

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

PilotDAR wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:34 pm For the few times I have sent pilot solo, a prerequisite was that they could land properly power off from down wind - not just enter a glide and power out of it, but actually land power off consistently well.
I would suggest that while this is a reasonable consideration for a licensed pilot conducting their first solo in a new type, I am not convinced it is appropriate for the first ever solo flight for a PPL student. At that stage I just want confirmation that they can control the aircraft to a injury free arrival in the event the engine fails. By the end of the PPL course then yes absolutely they should be able to make a successful landing power off on the runway from any point in circuit starting on the downwind leg.

My students will also be able to fly a takeoff, circuit and landing with the airspeed and altimeter covered. However waiting for that level of skill before sending a PPL student on their first solo would IMO so delay the event that it renders that mile stone rather meaningless

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I agree that taking longer to bring the pre solo student to the point of making good power off landings on the intended runway may be asking too much. However, I will train this skill to some satisfaction, simply in the hope that in the case of an engine failure (sometimes new pilot induced), the student can put the plane down survivably maybe near the runway. The experience of setting up a power off approach won't be new to them.

I'm often amused by the surprise new floatplane pilots exhibit, when I initiate a power off water landing - "... floatplanes can do that!?" It should not be a surprise. Only once can I remember being truly impressed by a first time power off landing (and that was a very experienced pilot, just new to type I was training). Generally, and even sailplane pilots, overestimate the glide available, and the speed which should be carried to assure an opportunity for a good flare. Once demonstrated, and practiced a little, the new skills seem to stick.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I recall . saying he teaches only power-off landings, to begin with.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

I recall . saying he teaches only power-off landings, to begin with.
Yes, that is how I teach wheel landings to pilots who have never flown tail wheel airplanes.

Once they learn ow to accurately judge height for a power off wheel landings three point landings are a non issue.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

What would you do for tricycle gear beginners?

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

What would you do for tricycle gear beginners?
Teach them to land power off.

Power is used to correct a landing that goes wrong.

matt17
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by matt17 »

PilotDAR wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:34 pm For the few times I have sent pilot solo, a prerequisite was that they could land properly power off from down wind - not just enter a glide and power out of it, but actually land power off consistently well. That, combined with the mantra "Aviate, Navigate, communicate" firmly set into their minds will give them an honourable chance in most situations I have encountered in the circuit.
4) A diversion to Nanaimo if the airport was suddenly closed
I like Nanaimo, ('got friends there!) I'll have to remember that! But it's going to be quite a diversion for some of our readers! :wink:
When I did my RPP on floats this was a requirement prior to solo. They were not all pretty but the instructor expected me to be able to do it consistently without any input from them over at least 2 lessons prior to being sent solo. I enjoyed that it was required and the consistency gave me a lot of confidence prior to going solo. It also helped the lake was 5 miles long and the entire circuit was essentially next to or over the lake.

Now the school also had pretty strict weather requirements for solo (no glassy and no rough water) and I had to wait several days to solo but continued to fly due to limited time available. Looking back at my logs I soloed at about 30 hours and finished my RPP in just under 45. I did have to do one last hour of solo flight to meet my required 5 hours after successful completion of my flight test.

Return to “Flight Training”