Starting PPL - Night VFR + Multi IFR immediately after?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

nvestr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Starting PPL - Night VFR + Multi IFR immediately after?

Post by nvestr »

Kejidog wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:34 pm Good advice above from all but I have a question. Unless you are apparently more rich than your average east coaster where do you expect to find a partner willing to allow a low time basically a student buy into and fly solo a sr22 or a well equipped 182? And do yo know of how few actual aircraft are around the maritime provinces? Nobody i have met locally is looking to offer this type of arrangement, i know because i am looking for a bonanza to purchase with a partner in NS. I think unless you have some very well monied close friends you’re not going to find a partner to pursue this lofty goal. Most people i have met around here flying are either too poor, too cheap, or too anal, to partner with.

Be like me. Buy a cheap 2 or 4 seater and train and get your ppl in it and save the money on Tuition from MFC. Fly the shit out of it and see where you end up. I’ve put close to 400 hours on my 172 since i bought it in 2016 with 10 hours dual. Soloed in it got my ppl in it night rating in it and now working on my commercial.

What you want to do is lofty but you need to be realistic. Ask your well respected buddy how he got his considerable hours. I bet it was military or on someone else’s dime. And if he is so competent maybe he,s an instructor.
Thanks all, didn't realize I had more replies, bit late checking back in.

This is a fair point, however I will say that money is not really an issue here (within reason), and I guess that does make me ''more rich than your average east coaster'' as you state. I don't mind spending the money to become a better pilot. It's as simple as that. I have the resources to buy my own plane, but would rather be with a partner to gain some mentorship and knowledge from him as well.

The reason I started this thread was because the idea of a potential partnership was ''offered' to me with the path laid out in my original post as acceptable conditions to him being comfortable with me as a partner. The window for that partnership may not be around forever so this was the reason for the 1-year window to get these ratings done.

I think another reason that this path was suggested to me was to get the maximum amount of hours under my belt prior to joining a partnership. i.e. put the training hours on someone else's plane. In my area, the only way to get flight time is by owning or going to flight school. There are no rental operations around here. Closest being Truro Flying Club as far as I can tell which is very inconvenient.
---------- ADS -----------

nvestr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nvestr »

waterdog wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:33 pm Hi nvestr, there is lots of really great information above from people far more experienced than me. From someone who got their ppl in 2017 here is what I found.
The time it takes to get your ppl is directly related to how much effort you put into the process and how often you fly. If you can fly 2 to 3 times a week you will progress that much faster. Chair fly your flights beforehand, spend some time debriefing your flights after so that you can learn to assess what is going well and what you need to work on.
Once you get your ppl spend some time flying and learning. I am shocked when I look back now at how little I knew and how far I have come, all under a simple ppl. What's your mission, why do you want to get your licence? If it's for the $100 hamburger that's going to get old pretty fast. It doesn't sound like you are looking at flying commercially, so what's your drive? Is it long trips? Flying to the US? Float flying? There is a lot of fun that can be had and a lot of experience that you can achieve with a ppl and some gas money. Once you have flown for a while you will start to learn the limitations of your license, your experience, and the plane that you are flying. Now you are in a great place to make a decision on how to start removing those limitations.
From what I have seen the recommendation to combine your multi and IFR rating are common because it saves money, IF you are on the path for your ATPL this seems to be the route that people take. When you look at flight schools and their pricing, adding a multi-engine endorsement to your IFR training doesn't increase the price very much. But as others have said, unless you are going to use it, it's not necessary and the skills you gain will degrade very quickly if you're not using them. You might find after flying around on your ppl for a while that it makes more sense to go straight for your IFR without the night rating, it all depends on your mission. You might find that an IFR rating isn't something that you will use enough to remain proficient with the flying that you are doing and a ppl with a night rating is sufficient.

For perspective, I finished my flight test with 45.6hrs in 2017
Immediately got my float endorsement
Flew another 300hrs from 2017 until now
Am only now getting my night rating. Why, because with the flying that I am doing I find it limiting and I don't like being worried about getting back before it gets dark, especially in the winter when it gets dark so early.
But in that 300hrs I have been to every strip imaginable, from a small grass strip in Northern Ontario to an International airport in the US. I bought a simple plane that I can afford to put gas in and have had a blast challenging myself to be as good as I can be.

Have fun and enjoy the process!
Thanks for the great reply.

Mission is a good question: While I`m sure the mission will evolve, I am interested in flying locally for fun, but also flying cross country as a means of transportation for business (albeit I do not travel for business more than 4-6 times per year). The rest would be simply opening up new horizons as a way to travel, for weekend trips to new places, etc. Eventually I would like to be able to go on vacations with my aircraft. The freedom of going where you want (weather permitting) is very appealing to me.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Buy a Cub, cheap to fly and a real fun toy.

Return to “Flight Training”