Where should I get my flight training?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

jadben
Rank 0
Rank 0

Where should I get my flight training?

Post by jadben »

Hey! I'm an international student, and I would like to become a pilot in Canada. I would really appreciate if you could help me chose a school ( it can be anywhere).
I heard a lot of schools have partnership with some airlines, do you think it's worth it?
Is ATPL important if you want to work with an airline in Canada?
After completing my Cpl I need to gain hours, probably being an instructor. After reaching a certain number hours being an instructor is it easy to find a job with an airline, having no university degree and no experience with an airline?

Thank you !
---------- ADS -----------

flightstaus
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Where should I get my flight training?

Post by flightstaus »

Hello

You have many options to consider. Some schools do not accept international students, but most due. Being an international student, you will pay 2x for schools tuition as opposed to say a flight club.

As for schools, stay away from Sault College aviation program. Reading here current students having issues with the school. Students going extended periods of time without flying repeatedly. Recent post said most students going into their 3rd year, were still working on finishing their PPL. That would mean they were a full year behind. AS well many were doing poorly on check rides, which I would think would happen if you are only flying once every few weeks or so.

I recall there is a school on the East coast that seems to deal mostly with international students. Maybe a Google search would help.

Good luck.

Saultnot4u
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Saultnot4u »

Do your research. Save time and money and if you can do it outside of a flight school, I would go that route.
Strongly suggest staying away from Sault College as there is some very serious flight availability issues. Flight training was a full (1) year behind their academics training. Students not flying for 3 plus weeks repeatedly. Students failing flight tests from inconsistent flying.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I have read quite a few Sault graduates work at AirCanada.

DCL415
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DCL415 »

Beefitarian wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:44 am I have read quite a few Sault graduates work at AirCanada.
Thats true. This year as far as I know 7, last year a even bigger number

Stallfactor
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Stallfactor »

Bad choice sault college. A no go totally

SSM2019
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SSM2019 »

Befitarian

AC as well as most airlines are in need of pilots from all sources. There is no direct hiring from Sault, everyone had to go out and build their hours first.
AC increased their pilot numbers by 250 over the years from their 2019 Annual report. So, to say they hired 7 from sault..well..less then impressive. Seneca I am sure had the same numbers as well as other school.

I am sure if they knew about the growing issues in their flight program, they would hire less. Lots of information out there from current and past students.

Example:
During Year #2, many students were going 3,4 week without flying repeatedly. Students were just given up and leaving.
MOST as in 80% plus of students did not even have their private, PPL ending year 2 of the year 3 program.
The School had to extend their cut off date November 2019 so students would not be kicked out of the program. Why, because 3rd year students DID NOT have their private yet!!!
Many of the students were having issues passing their progress flights.

From Another post a number of months back.......
  • Some students leaving the program as they were tired of waiting for flight time for weeks..
  • Flight training a full (1) year behind schedule. Second years wrote their PPL written June of 2018..and still not done going into 3rd year. Flight training started end of year 1, suppose to have PPL done that summer 2018, not winter 2019.
  • Students given up their "Integration" certificate so they can be farmed out to other flight clubs to finish a rating. Ex Multi rating in 1/4 time.
  • Students who just finished their second year, that is semester 5, of the 7 Semester program, are still working on their PPL. Should be finishing their Commercial at that point.
  • Students waiting up to 2 months for flights, with many waiting 3 weeks or longer repeatedly the last 2 semesters.
  • Students only flying 1 to 2 times a month, some only(2) times in 3 months on average the last 2 semesters.
  • Administration, Chair of the program, made changes mid stream in the program forcing some students out of their last years academics for 12 months.
  • Second year students going into their last year given the "choice" to stay over this semester to TRY to finish their private lessons from year 1 or told they can not complete their last year. This as they will not have the required flight training level done to move forward.
  • Students put in financial hardship because of the above changes. This summer was not suppose to be mandatory so some were counting on going back home to work to pay for their last year. Not really a "choice" that the administration says it is..when you can not pay or have money to live for your last year!!
Just some information out there.

lakesideaviaiton
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lakesideaviaiton »

Our school is getting busier and we have some of the most competitive rates available today. You can check out our website at http://lakesideaviationservices.ca/ for more details on our operations and school

BBsault
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BBsault »

There are so many posts on this web site and others from students about how bad Sault College Aviation has become.
Students leaving, parents pulling their kids from the school. Delays after delays!!

Most or many of the 3rd year 2019 Sept students going into their last year still trying to finish their PPL raiting.

There was some talk on here I think of legal action from students.

Return to “Flight Training”