FTD

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

FTD

Post by Beefitarian »

I was just reading a list of requirements for CPL and it included, Minimum 20 hours instrument time, (of which at most 10 may be in a FTD)

What is a FTD?

I decided FTD might mean a sim. But why not write sim? Is there some other thing that can be a FTD?

Expecting a good mix of information and attempted humour.
---------- ADS -----------

DCL415
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: FTD

Post by DCL415 »

Flight Training Device (FTD), according to the circular TP9939E is a replica of an aircraft's instruments, equipment, panels and controls in an open flight deck area or an enclosed aircraft cockpit, including the assemblage of equipment and programs necessary to represent the aircraft in ground and flight conditions to the extent of the systems installed in the device; does not require a force (motion) cueing or visual system; is found to meet the criteria outlined in this manual for a specific flight training device level; and in which any flight training event or flight checking event is accomplished.

Its is a long read, but if I understand it correctly, to be able to log time (Dual only) just to be transport canada approved, if they wrote sim anyone with a home made sim would start logging sim time.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Ok, annoying but I suppose it prevents Trey and I from setting up a panel van with Microsoft flight sim and then sending guys to Transport with full motion simulator time in their log books.

I was only joking but maybe they decided to write a rule to prevent it.

Fair enough I guess.

Thank you for clearing it up DCL415.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

A flight training device is what most flight schools use, it replicates instrument conditions and it's a tool to learn procedures. a simulator is what you find at flight safety. it replicates all phases of flight, uses full and accurate motion akin to the actual aircraft, can only represent one aircraft type (or a series of a similar type), costs millions of dollars to make and operate, and for certain types (level D), can accurately simulate VFR flight during the day.

sims are what people get type ratings in, FTDs are what flight schools use to teach students the fundamentals of flying without going in the air.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Interesting. Seems like you are suggesting something like a redbird is not a sim but a FTD.

I remember those old units at some flying schools that were basically a plywood box with controls and instruments. I might have even refused to call them sims back then.

I wonder if a guy can find one of those old things for cheap. I remember they were pretty expensive back then but they did have a lot of things connected mechanically to make them function.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

A Frasca. But why would you want one, even cheap?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I forget already. Probably just to annoy my wife.

I should probably buy a pinball machine instead.

Return to “Flight Training”