Conventional Gear Situation

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Conventional Gear Situation

Post by C.W.E. »

If I were hiring you to fly for me my question would be why not fly without your uncle with you so there would be no question of who was PIC.

My concern would be wondering how many if any possible bad habits your uncle may have that would be transferred to you.

Considering your uncle is not a professional pilot.
---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

For a Cessna 140, as long as you learn to land three point, and wheel landing, and can handle a 10 MPH crosswind, I would really not be too worried about picking up any bad habits in it. In a turbine twin, yes, you could pick up bad habits, in a single taildragger, not so much. Just don't let the good habits you demonstrated to earn your CPL erode!

As for PIC, Member Big Pistons Forever is really the guy to answer the nuances of that. But in my casual opinion, you're technically legal to fly the plane within your license privileges, log the PIC. If your uncle is along for insurance, and everyone is happy, I really can't imagine anyone trying to deny you the credit for the PIC time, as long as you did take the responsibility for the flight, and fly the plane.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

From the Aeronautics Act

“pilot-in-command means, in relation to an aircraft, the pilot having responsibility and authority for the operation and safety of the aircraft during flight time; (commandant de bord)”

The most practical way to look at this is as follows:

If the OP is if flying the aircraft with his uncle and you had an accident would you tell the Insurance company you were the PIC. If the answer is no then I would suggest you are not the PIC

The best way to handle this in my personal opinion is to ask the insurance company to put you on their insurance with your uncle acting as your instructor for a predetermined number of hours which you would log as dual. After that you would be a named pilot on the insurance and you could if you wish, continue to fly with your uncle. You would be PIC and your uncle would be a passenger

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

The best way to handle this in my personal opinion is to ask the insurance company to put you on their insurance with your uncle acting as your instructor for a predetermined number of hours which you would log as dual. After that you would be a named pilot on the insurance and you could if you wish, continue to fly with your uncle. You would be PIC and your uncle would be a passenger
Exactly.

Return to “Flight Training”