"Currently"

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: "Currently"

Post by iflyforpie »

The latest one I’ve noticed and it’s spread everywhere is “we have the field in sight, we can cancel the IFR”.

1). You don’t have to have the field in sight to cancel IFR. Just cancel IFR if you feel the weather will get you to the airport VFR, or if you have the field in sight you don’t need to tell everyone.

2). Or... just say “field in sight” and you’ll be cleared for a visual approach providing there is no other traffic, or simply call that traffic in sight as well.

3) For god’s sake don’t ask for a visual, get cleared one, and then cancel IFR. It makes no difference to how you fly but jams up the radio. If by chance there is someone waiting on the ground at an uncontrolled aerodrome waiting for you... do the good thing and cancel right away, or stay off the radio and let them ask for a VFR release on that obviously nice day.

That’s way worse than “currently”.
---------- ADS -----------

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

"we have the field visual if it helps" => "field/runway in sight"
"we can cancel IFR" => well, are you cancelling IFR? It creates quite a bit of ambiguity, with ATC trying to clarify and wasting frequency bandwith. Either say "cancel IFR" or keep quiet.

[after blabla 123 already made contact with xXX center]
" XXX Center, Blabla 123, request"
- "Blabla 123, go ahead"
" if possible, I'd like to put in a request for flight level 340" => "Blabla 123, request flight level 340"
You're talking to an ATC center frequency. They are listening on the radio, it's literally their job.

Carry on...

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Gannet167
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Gannet167 »

Currently = "we're at now- now."

https://youtu.be/gNIwlRClHsQ

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Gannet167 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:02 pm Currently = "we're at now- now."

https://youtu.be/gNIwlRClHsQ
Mr. Gannet167....... :prayer: :prayer: That is so apropo.

"When will then be now?" "Soon!!" - that kills me.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain

Return to “Flight Training”