American equivalent of AvCanada?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

captainhack
Rank 1
Rank 1

American equivalent of AvCanada?

Post by captainhack »

Hello all,

Does anyone know of any forums that are the US equivalent of AvCanada? I have some question regarding conversions from TC CPL/MIFR to FAA (whatever).

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: American equivalent of AvCanada?

Post by photofly »

There's a document on the FAA website you should read that describes the process.

Do US pilots know Canada exists? It's an open question.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I see nobody else is stepping in. You could try Pilots of America, I think it’s called, or Beechtalk. Or you can ask here: the people with the most experience of converting TC to FAA certificates are Canadian pilots.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
OldTracker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by OldTracker »

Last edited by OldTracker on Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ffrats
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ffrats »

Airlinepilotcentral.com, go to the forums section then the foreign section.

However your best bet, would be to ask any questions to the folks here on this site, (who were in your shoes before you). Folks on that site would mainly know about the faa to tc conversion. You need the tc to faa.

KissPlusOne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KissPlusOne »

While we're on this topic, is there an Australian equivalent of avcanada? I'm just curious about the hot gossip down there.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

pprune has a pretty active section on AUS/NZ aviation with forums for both airline and GA

marc s
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by marc s »

captainhack wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:19 pm Hello all,

Does anyone know of any forums that are the US equivalent of AvCanada? I have some question regarding conversions from TC CPL/MIFR to FAA (whatever).

Thanks
Hi I want to do my conversion as well, so i wondering if you figured out how does it work?
Thanks

kilocharliemike
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kilocharliemike »

I used to go to jetcareers.com years ago... it was kind of like avcanada

captainhack
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by captainhack »

marc s wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:08 pm
captainhack wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:19 pm Hello all,

Thanks
Hi I want to do my conversion as well, so i wondering if you figured out how does it work?
Thanks
Hey marc,

I figured it out. Basically, you need to apply for an "FAA Verification of a foreign license" and mail it to their address in Texas. Found here: https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/med ... 060-71.pdf. Then you need to get an FAA medical (done by several doctors here in Canada).
You can find a list by searching here: https://designee.faa.gov/#/designeeLocator. Once that is done, you wait to get a letter in the mail stating that TC has verified your credentials. Then you need to go to IACRA and fill out the actual license application and get an FTN number BEFORE write the exams. Found here: https://iacra.faa.gov/IACRA/Default.aspx. Once you get the number, you need to get an appointment and visit a designated exam centre. Found here: https://faa.psiexams.com/FAA/login. In my case, case I am doing the CCH (canadian commercial conversion written) and the ITP (Canadian Instrument Rating Airplane Conversion). Both are 40 questions each and you have 2 hours to write each. Once the exams are done, the center will give you a copy of the AKTR (Airman Knowledge Test Report) for each exam. You then need to print your two IACRA appliations (one for converting the CPL and the other for conversion/addition of an instrument rating), go get an FAA flight review from any FAA instructor (does not have to be an FAA registered airplane and it does not need to be conducted in the US). After all of this, call the FSDO near you to book an appointment to get the actual temporary license. You then go into the FSDO with your logbook, Canadian License Bookelte, 2 IACRA applications printed, 2 AKTRs printed, FAA medical certificate, and your passport. Then they will go over all your documents and sign you a temporary FAA Multi-Engine Commercial Pilot License with an Instrument Rating. The actual card will come in 3 to 4 weeks in the mail. The whole process normally takes about 4 months (budget double that due to this coronavirus). Furthermore, be ready to explain why they should give you a license that says Airplane Single Multi-Engine Land Sea, if you have a Canadian float rating. This was an issue for my friend as they were not sure why they should issue him a Multi-Engine Sea Rating if has never flown a MES airplane. I hope this helps!

Thanks,

captianhack

Return to “Flight Training”