Do you log landings

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Do you log landings

Post by digits_ »

AirFrame wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:35 am
photofly wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:39 am Fair enough. Why does five quick touch and go's after night begins not meet the intent of the regulation?
Because it seems fairly clear to me that the intent is that you go off and do five flights, not just five tight circuit landings. Thereby expanding your experience flying somewhere at night, not just making landings in near-twilight. The reg is 5 landings in the last 90 days, not in the last 15 minutes.
Well if you want to go flying in near-twilight with pax, you need to be current, so it seems only fair you can also achieve that currency in near-twilight conditions. The regulator can't have it both ways...
---------- ADS -----------

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

AirFrame wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:35 am
photofly wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:39 am Fair enough. Why does five quick touch and go's after night begins not meet the intent of the regulation?
Because it seems fairly clear to me that the intent is that you go off and do five flights, not just five tight circuit landings. Thereby expanding your experience flying somewhere at night, not just making landings in near-twilight. The reg is 5 landings in the last 90 days, not in the last 15 minutes.
I don’t think so. Jurisprudence via the TATC suggests the regulation is there specifically so that people have, individually, handled the controls for the takeoff and landing in night conditions at least five times. Being PIC while the other pilot flies the takeoff or landing doesn’t count. It could easily have been worded to be about being PIC for a night flight of some duration, but it’s not.

If you’ve just done 5 landings 15 minutes ago I’d say you were ideally qualified; if you last landed at night five times in fifteen minutes five months and thirty days ago, I’d say that’s a stretch, but legal, anyway.

30 mins after sunset is actually pretty dark; I’m always surprised that someone without a night rating is permitted to fly in the last 15 mins before the end of evening civil twilight.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

90 days/6 months corrected, my bad.

Maybe it's just me, but I found landing and taking off to be the easiest part of night flying. The harder parts for me were flying without much reference when you're away from the lights of the city, and finding the airport when coming back to it. It seems odd that the intent of the regs would only require that you never leave the circuit, and not require that you use more of the skills necessary for night flying... Like flying on instruments.

Return to “Flight Training”