Do you log landings

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

rotorspeed
Rank 4
Rank 4

Do you log landings

Post by rotorspeed »

When I started flying in the 90's there was no talk of logging landings. I guess it's more common in the states. What gives I never started so though it was a waste. Anyone else?
---------- ADS -----------

FL_CH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Do you log landings

Post by FL_CH »

Logging takeoffs and landings might be required for the 5-in-6 months passenger carrying currency. I log night takeoffs and landing because those are relatively rare. Depending on how frequently you fly, you might want to log day to+landings too.

"Then from 1000 ft AGL until the final capture altitude, the A/C accelerates backwards up along the altitude profile with idle thrust"
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

I log them because the number goes up higher than my total hours... :P

Seriously though, I had a discussion once with an old airforce pilot who pointed out that the number of landings was more indicative of the level of experience than the number of hours total... One can fly for 4 hours and do one landing, or one can do 4 hours of circuits... Who will be better at landing after that? I started logging them about half-way through my private license, and later on went back and made a best estimate for the first few flights.

Other than the number of landings for passenger currency, there's no other reason that i'm aware of.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Of course. Why not? Started doing that right away as a PPL student. It was nice to see those numbers go up.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

I don't log landings, as my logbook doesn't have that column. The assumption is that each flight I take off and land once. If not, I write something like "did 5 touch+gos" in the comments. No big deal.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

What does the CARs say?
401.08 (1) Every applicant for, and every holder of, a flight crew permit, licence or rating shall maintain a personal log in accordance with subsection (2) and with the personnel licensing standards for the documentation of

(a) experience acquired in respect of the issuance of the flight crew permit, licence or rating; and

(b) recency.

(2) A personal log that is maintained for the purposes referred to in paragraphs (1)(a) and (b) shall contain the holder’s name and the following information in respect of each flight:

(a) the date of the flight;

(b) the type of aircraft and its registration mark;

(c) the flight crew position in which the holder acted;

(d) the flight conditions with respect to day, night, VFR and IFR;

(e) in the case of a flight in an aeroplane or helicopter, the place of departure and the place of arrival;

(f) in the case of a flight in an aeroplane, all of the intermediate take-offs and landings;

(g) the flight time;

(h) in the case of a flight in a glider, the method of launch used for the flight; and

(i) in the case of a flight in a balloon, the method of inflation used for the flight.

(3) No person shall make an entry in a personal log unless the person

(a) is the holder of the log; or

(b) has been authorized to make the entry by the holder of the log.
I do one entry per day in my book, and write in the number of takeoffs and landings in day and night along with the route and everything else required by that regulation.

455tt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 455tt »

Remember as well that it is not "take-offs and landings" combined for day and for night, as most logbooks have, but rather, it is take-offs by day, take-offs by night, landings by day, and landings by night.

For example, if you take-off at day, then land at night, you would not log a "take-off and landing" at day and a "take-off and landing" at night; you would instead log a take-off at day and a landing at night. This becomes important for night currency purposes; you can't combine the take-offs and landings.

W5
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by W5 »

Once upon a time we used to do 150 landings and take-offs in a day (each). That was in a Stearman spreading fertilizer. 3 of us for 3 days at the time. Adds up quickly.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

That was in a Stearman spreading fertilizer. 3 of us for 3 days at the time. Adds up quickly.
Yes, and it sure did tell the story of how accurate your flying was as the crop grew. :mrgreen:

I can't think of a more satisfying sound than a Stearman working a field early in the morning.

AAhhh, the good old days.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I only log take-offs and landings for night flying. I barely seem to get enough to stay current these days for night flying. Often requires some circuits before taking friends for a flight.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

JasonE wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:03 pm I only log take-offs and landings for night flying. I barely seem to get enough to stay current these days for night flying. Often requires some circuits before taking friends for a flight.
It's fairly common to see someone taxi out and bang out 5 quick circuits solo right after the sun sets, and then taxi in and load up with people. It meets the wording in the regs, but it sure doesn't meet the intent.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

You are correct, certainly not ideal but legal.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

AirFrame wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:54 am It's fairly common to see someone taxi out and bang out 5 quick circuits solo right after the sun sets, and then taxi in and load up with people. It meets the wording in the regs, but it sure doesn't meet the intent.
Five quick circuits right after sunset doesn't meet the regulation at all. For flying purposes, night begins when the sun is 6° below the horizon, which is typically 30 mins after sunset.

Fly five quick circuits, immediately after the end of evening civil twilight - that meets both the regulation, and its intent.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Fly five quick circuits, immediately after the end of evening civil twilight - that meets both the regulation, and its intent.
It is even better to do the five circuits in five minutes or less.

Less fuel burnt.

Less wasted time.

More attention to accurate flying.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

CYHM has a 10,000' runway and is amenable to multiple touch and goes :-)

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

photofly wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:33 pm
AirFrame wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:54 am It's fairly common to see someone taxi out and bang out 5 quick circuits solo right after the sun sets, and then taxi in and load up with people. It meets the wording in the regs, but it sure doesn't meet the intent.
Five quick circuits right after sunset doesn't meet the regulation at all. For flying purposes, night begins when the sun is 6° below the horizon, which is typically 30 mins after sunset.
Yeah, I assumed everyone would understand that by "sunset" I meant "sunset as it applies to night flying," including the usual 30 minute delay.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Fair enough. Why does five quick touch and go's after night begins not meet the intent of the regulation?

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Yup. I do find the total is a squeeze in the little box at the bottom but I like to open the book and see it once in a while.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

photofly wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:39 am Fair enough. Why does five quick touch and go's after night begins not meet the intent of the regulation?
Because it seems fairly clear to me that the intent is that you go off and do five flights, not just five tight circuit landings. Thereby expanding your experience flying somewhere at night, not just making landings in near-twilight. The reg is 5 landings in the last 6 months, not in the last 15 minutes.

Last edited by AirFrame on Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Interesting. It's 5 landing in 6 months, not 90 days, and the 6 months is an upper limit, not a lower one.

I don't think the recency rules are there to build experience, they are there for recency. To me 5 solo circuits before taking passengers meets both the intent and the specifics of the regulations. At a certain experience level, further experience is not appreciably helpful but currency is important no matter what the experience level. If the intent of the regulations was a certain number of hours and landings, they would have written them that way.

Return to “Flight Training”