Freelance Authorized Person?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

tigerCT
Rank 0
Rank 0

Freelance Authorized Person?

Post by tigerCT »

I have been doing a little freelance instruction recently but now I am wondering what other people do who freelance about the necessity for having a TC Authorized person sign the application for PPL and CPL?
---------- ADS -----------

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Freelance Authorized Person?

Post by CpnCrunch »

Either find a friendly AP at an FTU who will sign it (presumably if you've done some training with them), or just send your documents to TC directly. I sent mine to TC and it was fine.

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

AFAIK, there are no more freelance authorized persons anymore. I tried to retain my AP when I stopped officially working for a school, and TC would have none of it. The only other person I knew who did retain his AP status outside of a school has since given up his AP privileges, and I was told it was TC's relatively new policy to only have APs who worked for schools. Heaven forbid there be more service to the GA community instead of less. :roll:

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

APs are required to process applications from outside their FTU. They act for the minister, not for their employer.

Where are you located?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I asked a TC staff member on behalf of one of my students, and it went perfectly well (Other than I had made an error in a log entry!).

tigerCT
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tigerCT »

That helps a lot, I did call TC and they told me that there was no AP outside an FTU, but there were talks of changing that. I am in the Winnipeg area so I can find people to sign the forms, I just would have liked to do it on my own.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Well, an FTU isn't strictly necessary to be an AP, but it looks like you may need to be employed by a company delivering training in some form:

https://www.pacificseaplanes.net/seapla ... -training/

And as mentioned previously, you don't need an AP to sign off your license application; it is strictly optional. Either an AP checks your documents, or TC does it. See:

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviati ... .html#e6_0

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Special arrangements for sea plane ratings: most AP’s can’t sign them off.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Canadian Float Pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Canadian Float Pilot »

I knew an AP. He stated that, though he was "freelance". He could only act as AP if attached to a specific FTU.

Return to “Flight Training”