Just wrote SARON and SAMRA 2019

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Just wrote SARON and SAMRA 2019

Post by flyingcanuck »

Hi guys, thought Id share some information on the exams

What I did to study:
I did the whole aerocourse atpl exam book, and studied those sections I was weak in.
Also bought Harvs air and did those practice tests. TBH this course isnt really worth it unless you have time to do the whole thing, while it has great info there is also alot of useless stuff that you'll never be asked by TC or a company, its more nice to know than need to know. I only got it because I split it with some people.

I did all this in about 3 weeks during pairings, days off etc.

My tip when writing:
You'll prob see questions you haven't seen in a while since CPL, so I cover up and answers and read the question and see if anything comes to mind before I look at the options. You'd be surprised how much comes back.

The SAMRA (met and radio aids/fping)
So I went into this one thinking it'd be the easier of the two, but for me it was the opposite. The SAMRA has a lot of stupidly worded questions (thanks TC) which I think is up to interpretation of the questions. There was alot of FOG related questions, and winterwarm fronts, weather associated with fronts. Not alot of Jetstream stuff surprisingly.

The ones I got wrong or that I remember
- What speed to speed up to melt ice with aerodynamic heating (I chose 500kts, but there were 2 options with that)
-Flying in the middle of the microburst, what happens to the aircraft. (This one was stupid, it was between something about AoA or incr/decr windshear)
-Benefits of ADSB
-What does a hook show on a weather radar? (some options were tornado, TS direction..)
-Know the difference between TCAS 1-3
-All about WAAS (whats false in this list kind of question)
-Temp range for clear icing
-Where is the worse weather in a TROWAL
-If you have shallow fog in the landing zone, what would it show, higher prevailing vis or RVR
-High level airspace, when would you position report with LAT and LONG
-Pressure/temp changes with passage of cold front
-radio fail in CVFR, what do you do (not follow IFR like I said duh)
-DME understanding
-What is not included in a Cockpit management system (Wx radar, pressure monitor, TCAS or engine indications)
-Decode a GFA (LOL I hate these ones)

The SARON (airlaw, nav)
Did alot better on this one, I found this one alot more straight forward.

-Wake turbulence VS weight categories for S-L aircraft
-Movement area vs maneuvering (but they worded it really weirdly..)
-Operation of trim tabs, elev and right aileron trim up, what would it do
-If you shutdown an engine as a precaution, is it a occurrence, or an incident. and should you report it. (I said you should report it to TC, apparently not)
-What does ANTI SKID measure?
-A few questions about BETA range
-Time of conscience questions
-How does a FIRE LOOP work, but I think these are how OLD loops work, not current ones.
-Youre in uncontrolled air and doing an app to an uncontrolled airport, what freq do you use?

Goodluck all!
---------- ADS -----------

JasFly
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Just wrote SARON and SAMRA 2019

Post by JasFly »

Hello,

I just did my SAMRA this morning and I faild ( 69.6% ). I have checked the feedback on the second page it shows how many questions I got wrong which is 24 . So SAMRA has total of 80 questions, after the cauculations, I thunk I am right at 70% pass mark but dont know what it only 69.6% . Does anyone have an idea ? Or is it computer technical problems?

JasFly
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JasFly »

Hello,

I just did my SAMRA today and shows 69.6% ( fail) , was the SAMRA got total of 80 questions ? I have got 24 questions wrong. Which maks up 56 q correct. Does anyone know why they deduct the 0.4 % ? And not letting people pass the exam ?

Thanks,

what_limit?
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by what_limit? »

Thanks for the gouge! You wouldn't happen to remember which versions you wrote eh? And did you do them back to back like a super human?

Thanks

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

The first was #14, I didnt even look at teh second one haha. Yes I wrote them both together

MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MarkyMark90 »

About the aerodynamic icing, the answer they are looking for is at 500kts, you stop accumulating, but you don’t melt what you have accumulated.

My dream is to fly... Over the rainbow, so high!!
JasFly
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JasFly »

What was the requirment for position report at high level airspace ? I thoight was every 5 degree longitude ?

SaraC172
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SaraC172 »

Did any one write Samra 14 and 15 😞 any idea or help thx

Skittles32
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Skittles32 »

JasFly wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:50 am What was the requirment for position report at high level airspace ? I thoight was every 5 degree longitude ?
I’m trying to recall this piece of information myself. Can anyone help us out? Every x degrees including x?

455tt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 455tt »

For flights on north or south tracks (315° T clockwise through 045° T or the reciprocals), report over fixed reporting lines coincident with each 5° of latitude north or south of, and including, 65° N latitude.

Skittles32
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Skittles32 »

455tt wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:58 pm For flights on north or south tracks (315° T clockwise through 045° T or the reciprocals), report over fixed reporting lines coincident with each 5° of latitude north or south of, and including, 65° N latitude.
Thank you!

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Funny how none of this really matters once you get to widebody flying.

It is very useful though for 704/705 flying around northern Canada etc.

Chitak
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chitak »

JasFly wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:01 pm Hello,

I just did my SAMRA this morning and I faild ( 69.6% ). I have checked the feedback on the second page it shows how many questions I got wrong which is 24 . So SAMRA has total of 80 questions, after the cauculations, I thunk I am right at 70% pass mark but dont know what it only 69.6% . Does anyone have an idea ? Or is it computer technical problems?

When I wrote my cpl exam recently, there was a cancelled question, just taken out of the exam. I think same thing happened with your exam. They evaluated your exam out of 79 questions instead, which would mean you had 55 correct answers. 55 / 79 = 69.6

Return to “Flight Training”