Ontario flight training: Sault, Confederation, or train privately?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

YQG94
Rank 0
Rank 0

Ontario flight training: Sault, Confederation, or train privately?

Post by YQG94 »

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to complete flight training in Ontario with the eventual goal of becoming an airline pilot. To give you some background, I'm 25, already have a university degree, and have recently started PPL training at my local flight school. I've narrowed down my flight training to 3 options:

1. Sault College: It seems that this program has a great reputation among the regionals. The opportunity to get hired directly by the regionals after completing the program is a huge factor that would sway me towards enrolling here. (I know only a select few students are given this opportunity - however, just knowing that the opportunity exists is huge!) Also, it would be much cheaper than training privately. On the other hand, I've seen from previous posts that students are very far behind in their flight training, with many only flying 2 times/month! Most of these posts are pretty dated though so I'm not sure what the situation is like now. Hopefully, if I can finish my PPL before starting the program, this won't be as much of an issue for me.

2. Confederation College: The shorter time frame and lower cost make this program seem pretty appealing, however, I'd have to get my Multi/IFR on my own and it doesn't seem as reputable with the regionals. One big plus, however, is that many of the elective courses are similar to courses I had taken in university. I may be able to receive credit for these courses, however, I won't know for sure until after I've been accepted.

3. Training Privately: I could continue to train privately on the weekends and potentially finish in a slightly longer time frame than if I go the college route. It would cost a lot more but I'd be able to hold down my full-time job to help offset the difference. My main concern is that I would have to divide my focus between work and flying. I also worry that it would take me a lot longer to build a relationship with the regionals.

My main goal, as I'm sure is the case with most aspiring captains, is to get that entry-level FO job at a regional in the most efficient way possible. I'd highly appreciate the input of anyone who has gone through the flight training process, as well as current students at Sault or Confederation. Thanks in advance!
---------- ADS -----------

snowcrest
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Ontario flight training: Sault, Confederation, or train privately?

Post by snowcrest »

Why even remotely consider any option other than 3. is beyond me..

All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you.
losercruiser
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by losercruiser »

3 is the only option. Sault is shit now, Confed you'll be lucky to start next year. Then add two.

You can do a multi ifr in a year and a half if you put your priorities towards flying. Then go get a job, you'll be flying faster than any of the other options and that's what matters.

Flyboy2019
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flyboy2019 »

Hello YQG (Windsor, ON)
You will get many opinions here as to your question. You did not say, but do you have a degree or a diploma? Although not as important as it once was many years ago it is good to have when considering a career in aviation with the majors. My option is to find the shortest route between present day and finishing all your ratings etc. It may cost you a bit, or appear, more up front, but in the long run will save you in time and lost wages.

Your comments about Sault College are a bit incorrect. They DO NOT offer a direct path/seat right into a regional right after graduation. You still need to build your time like all the others. Many are reporting as well they have having issues getting a job, perhaps because the word it getting out as to how badly the program has become with delays etc. Only about 40% of those start the program finish. They say it is 3 years, but there are many posts on here saying they are 4 to 5 years.

"I've seen from previous posts that students are very far behind in their flight training, with many only flying 2 times/month! Most of these posts are pretty dated though so I'm not sure what the situation is like now. "

This is not the case at all re being old posts, if you search on here and many other sites. The issues are very much current, even posts of this week say the same. Below is one of them.

I hope this helps you a bit. Sometimes what appears to be the shortest/cheapest (Sault College) is the most expensive to your carrier in the end!!

Below is a recent post.

""
Sault Aviation, grounding student pilot dreams, one cancelled/delayed flight at a time....

I hope you made a good decision and stayed away from Sault College Aviation program. A bit late to the party here as well but wanted to add my 3 cents. There are so many posts on here, as well other aviation sites of just how bad Sault College aviation is.

I am part of the class here at the moment. I am rooming with 3 other Sault aviation students, all of which are so far behind in flight training.

Here are some of the issues.
Most of the class of 2020 went into their last year (Year 3/Sept 2019) NOT having their Private license. At that point should have been completing or have their Commercial license according to schools manual.

Semester 6, 7 or year 3 is the end of the program. It is here in classes you learn Multi/IFR according the the schools training manual and the academic classes. So we are learning Multi etc, but working on PPL flying lessons from the first year.

Multi ratings were taking 5 months plus.

I know of at least 3 students that just left the program after 2 years and spending their education fund as they were simply NOT flying on a regular bases.

It was not uncommon for students to not fly for 3 weeks at a time on a regular bases. The result is students were failing their rides as in some cases did not fly for 3-4 weeks before. This was a real issue for the school, so they had to extend their deadline to allow all the students to re enroll in Semester 3 (PPL Training) which cost them approx another $3600. If not they would have to wait another 12 months to pick up Sem with when next offered.

Year 2, students were going a month at a time with NO FLYING :evil:

School was changing cut off deadlines for flight training or students would have been dropped from the program as well lose their tuition fees. The cut off was first September 2019, then end of November 2019, now I believe Jan 2020 to finish their PPL. Students should have reached this point before the start of year 2, NOT year 3.

Even though the school knew of the issues, they did not cut back on the intake of the following year students. The school gets $10,000's of thousands of federal money per student that are in the course so you can figure this part out!

Just some of the points. This is not a student issue of not wanting to fly, but the schools issue of too many students in the program for the number of aircraft/instructors they have and poor upper management.[/i

Here is another post as well, I think the Title of it pretty much says it all...

Should it take 2 years to get a Private? Thank you Sault College. :(

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=133917&hilit=sault

BBsault
Rank 0
Rank 0

STAY AWAY FROM SAULT COLLEGE AVIATION

Post by BBsault »

Only go to Sault College If:
  • You have extra money to waste.
  • You want to take 4-5 years to complete a 3 year program.
  • You want to wait 2-3 weeks between flight lessons.
  • You want to do poorly on rides, because of the inconsistent flights.
  • You want to watch your fellow class mates leave tired of waiting after 2 years invested.
  • You want to hear from past fellow classmates how they went home and finished their training, and you are still working on your PPL
  • You want to lose 2 years of wages/seniority/opportunities in your career.

Save time and money and DO NOT GO TO SAULT COLLEGE.

Stallfactor
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Stallfactor »

Do not go to Sault. Have lost time and money and more importantly senority.
A class action should be started.
Lets all communicate together and sue that college.
Unconsistant flying. Grounding students for no valide reasons and taking away students dreams to become pilots. Just a hand full will graduate in april 2020.

Heavy Rayn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Heavy Rayn »

Hey YQG94,

First off, assuming you’re from Windsor, I am too, hello! I’m an instructor down here.

I would recommend continuing your training privately, I assume you’re doing it at the club. You will be able to finish your licences and ratings much faster by choosing the private route. I know two people who went at it in a similar way you did. Interestingly enough they both received the HK degree at Uwindsor, and then got their licences/ratings privately. One is about to surpass 1000 hours and is instructing. The other is right seat at a regional. They both accomplished this much faster than what they would have done if they went to Sault or Confed, probably about half the time. So because of this, that’s what I would recommend.

TailwheelPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TailwheelPilot »

If you complete your PPL before going to Confederation you will only fly something like 20 hours your first year - the goal is PPL, since you have it they want you to fly just enough to stay current.

I would do all your training privately. You should be able to do your training and a year of instructing or 703/704 flying in two to three years, the same time it would take to go through Confederation, except experienced enough to get into a regional.

seven-oh-nooo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by seven-oh-nooo »

In your case go private. If speed is the goal the most successful pilot I’ve seen split his time between flight training and being a bartender. Seemed to pay well enough to be flying most days and he was done crazy fast. I think he went from zero to turbine captain in under four years. Also at work built up the social skills to get more ass than a toilet seat.

Rubby
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Rubby »

If you have a good paying job keep it and fly on the side, believe me you would fly more often enough to keep up with your skills than confed, currently at confed and experience says

Return to “Flight Training”