Advice for IFR Renewal Study Material after 24 years!

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

skydivepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Advice for IFR Renewal Study Material after 24 years!

Post by skydivepilot »

I completed my multi IFR way back in 1996 and didn't get a job flying in the IFR world. I've been VFR only in my career and looking to get into IFR flying now. There weren't any GPS approaches (or even a GPS in the plane) when I did my IFR so lots to learn.

Unfortunately, the local school here is busy with diploma programs and doesn't seem to have much time for someone like me. I'd appreciate hearing about any online courses or things I should be studying/doing from home. I am still current with flying, just not IFR. Thanks for any and all advice.
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Advice for IFR Renewal Study Material after 24 years!

Post by ahramin »

CARs, then AIM RAC, then CAP GEN would be a good start. Depending on what you've been doing and where you've been flying you'll probably want to go through AIM MET and Air Command Weather or Pilot Weather From Solo to Airlines.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

If you are anywhere near Cornwall, go there. It is hard to get one's head around the gps stuff, because it is not an add on helper, it is now pretty much the ONLY thing. Online Aerocourse, and Harvs Air...

skydivepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skydivepilot »

Thanks. I appreciate the list of things to read but wish it were shorter though ;)

I'm not near Cornwall but have heard good things.

I noticed the Online IFR Procedures Course by Aerocourse for $60 and option of adding Canadian Instrument Rating Workbook for another $70.

I wasn't able to find any online courses through Harv's Air.

I assume with the new rule changes that my written from way back in 1996 is still good and no need to rewrite. I asked my local school but haven't heard back.

Return to “Flight Training”