ADF/NDB on CPAER

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

shawnthesheep
Rank 2
Rank 2

ADF/NDB on CPAER

Post by shawnthesheep »

Hello All,

I have the CPAER coming up in about 3 months and NAV is one of the sections which I'm unsure on what to do.

The biggest thing for me is ADF/NDB, I don't quite understand fixed card ADFs.

I have . books and have been trying my best to practice it all.

Does anyone have advice?

In addition I heard there is a section that gets you to plan a flight to the states. Anyone know anything about it? What should I know?

Thanks,
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: ADF/NDB on CPAER

Post by digits_ »

Do you understand moving card adfs? If so, then remember that the needle doesn't care about fixed card or moving card, it will point to the same location.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

ADF with fixed card is the "over there" Instrument. Where is the station ? Its over there where the needle is pointing. Now you have to ask your self "where is the aircraft pointing" The difference is the relative bearing.

The good news is pretty soon the ADF will be relegated to the same fate as the radio range, i.e. something pilots used in the days when sex was safe and flying was dangerous

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Except when there's a nasty solar flare or China/North Korea attack and the orange spray tan to the south turns off GPS for non-military. All the bad guys really have to do is detonate a nuke in the ionosphere and that doesn't take any great deal of accuracy or missile range.

Then all the fancy dual Garmin 750 installations and most FMSs will be useless. We will all stare over at that old ADF and wonder how the hell that thing works, if it even does. NavCanada's navaid modernization program is heavily dependant on NDBs and a few odd VORs as a backup to the GPS constellation. They call it the "recovery network". http://www.navcanada.ca/EN/products-and ... zation.pdf

Good thing we're also moving towards ADS-B that's GPS dependant and away from actual RADAR, primary or secondary. ATC will loose the ability track all aircraft as well.

My point being, we'd all better be able to track an NDB to within some sort of realistic approach tolerance.

Return to “Flight Training”