Stuck above the clouds with no instruments

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Stuck above the clouds with no instruments

Post by pelmet »

photofly wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:32 pm Not a very smart cat, if it sticks around to be dropped the second time. Definitely the third time.
Maybe it likes aerobatics....or didn't have much of a choice.

Please don't try this at home....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIfD8eJdoV4

Amazing.
---------- ADS -----------

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

I guess it can be used as a normal operational tactic as well. From another forum....

"When I was flying Bolkow 105's in the UK North Sea, many years ago, we did not have GPS we had Decca Doppler Navigation......look it up, not very accurate. I used to approach the rig (no passengers only me onboard) according to the Doppler and even though I could not see the Rig as I was above the clouds 1500' and then see if I could make the rig by going into autorotation and when I came out visually see if I could have landed on the Helideck......I never did manage to achieve a deck landing I got really close."

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

trey kule wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:20 pm Its the cold,right?
Nobody has anything better to do.
Let's go back to this question.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

You guys are all fools. Do the obvious, use the force.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

Squaretail wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:39 pm You guys are all fools. Do the obvious, use the force.
Yes - exactly. Find a hole in the clouds, then nose down and force your way through it at the earliest opportunity.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

whistlerboy02 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:52 pm Photofly I always liked you, till today.
Use the whiskey compass for a heading
Depends on whether it is a Single Malt with one of those fancy Gaelic names or one of those excellent Prairie blends , the last compass that leaked a foul smelling fluid on me was not filled with sipping Whiskey , dats fur sure . I wouldnae thank yea fur a wee dram of that ya ken . Might be useful to help start a fire in a survival situation if your tanks are dry :)

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

2R wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:28 pm I wouldnae thank yea fur a wee dram of that ya ken.
Blimey! That's me real name! Dunno who ya been talkin' to, lad, but I'se wants to be talkin' as well!

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.

Return to “Flight Training”