Lack of PIC experience

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

palegreendot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Lack of PIC experience

Post by palegreendot »

Hi everyone,

I am trying to convert my ICAO CPL to Canadian CPL. In our country it is allowed to log both PIC and Dual recieved when acting as a pilot-in-command and getting flight instructions from a CFI, provided that he doesn't touch flight controls.
As far as I got from Transport Canada, only one person may log PIC time, in my case, a CFI. So, I am missing ~50 PIC hours to achieve enough experience for CPL-A. Also,

421.30 Aeroplanes - Requirements
(ii) following the issuance of a private pilot licence — aeroplane by Canada or another contracting state, have completed 65 hours of commercial pilot flight training in aeroplanes consisting of a minimum of:
   (B) 30 hours solo flight time including:
(I) ...a cross-country flight to a point of a minimum of 300 nautical mile radius from the point of departure and shall include a minimum of 3 landings at points other than that of departure; and
(II) 5 hours solo flight time by night during which a minimum of 10 takeoffs, circuits and landings were completed.

...these conditions are not met. Can I just get a Foreign License Validation Certificate, go to a Canadian flight school and fly that 50 hours PIC+some night circuits and a cross country flight landing at 3 different airports?
Would TC consider that flight experience as a part of commercial flight training? :?:

Thanks.
​​​​​​​
---------- ADS -----------

nbinont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Lack of PIC experience

Post by nbinont »

Which country?

Transport Canada has special conversion procedures for some countries. For example to convert a FAA cert, follow this: https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviati ... html#toc62 . Requirements are adapted to recognize you already have a foreign commercial. (Also note that Canadian CPLs and instrument ratings are separate, so if you have an instrument rating, convert that as well).

palegreendot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by palegreendot »

nbinont wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:40 pm Which country?

Transport Canada has special conversion procedures for some countries. For example to convert a FAA cert, follow this: https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviati ... html#toc62 . Requirements are adapted to recognize you already have a foreign commercial. (Also note that Canadian CPLs and instrument ratings are separate, so if you have an instrument rating, convert that as well).

Eh... Russia... No easy way :|

nbinont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nbinont »

If I were you, I'd get the (FLVC) (see https://www.harvsair.com/course/foreign ... onversion/ ). as a temporary measure.

Then use that to get your PIC time (per the Canadian definition), training time, and get familiar with any Canadian rules that are different.

You may be able to convince transport Canada that the commercial training hours you did in Russia after you got your Russian private licence should count towards 421.30. By my reading it should, but email Transport Canada for their take on the matter.

If they insist on more training hours, go do training on something new (multi, ifr, floats, etc). That all counts as training hours, and you get to learn something, not just bore holes in the sky.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Call your nearest TC office. We internet people just make stuff up.

palegreendot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by palegreendot »

Thanks guys...

Return to “Flight Training”