HOW TO FINANCE YOUR FLIGHT TRAINING

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Jetking
Rank 0
Rank 0

HOW TO FINANCE YOUR FLIGHT TRAINING

Post by Jetking »

Hello folks,
I wonder how to finance your flight training in Ontario ?
PS: I’m Ontario resident.
I’m talking about going to colleges(not the government subsidizes) or just going to FTUs for modular quickest programs available such as CPL, with or without multi & ifr.
All I know is banks would offer 40k student line of credit if enrolled full time. Which is clearly not enough for minimum of 60k training.

If you can put your thoughts, comments, concerns, ideas, experiences that would be greatly appreciated.
---------- ADS -----------

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: HOW TO FINANCE YOUR FLIGHT TRAINING

Post by ant_321 »

Does Ontario not offer provincial student loans?

Pilotdaddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pilotdaddy »

ant_321 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:07 pm Does Ontario not offer provincial student loans?
Not for FTUs such as the BFCs, DFCs, etc. of the world. It would have to be something like Seneca for it to be covered by OSAP, which sounds like the OP isn't interested in doing.

Interestingly, Harvs Air, all the way in Manitoba, does qualify for OSAP. So if you're looking for something quick/modular while still being eligible for OSAP, they may be worth the try.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

Interesting. I did my training at a ma and pa place on the east coast and had no problem getting loans.

Pilotdaddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pilotdaddy »

For private loans, of course, you can spend it anywhere. I was referring to the Ontario program called OSAP where you can only use it against select schools.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

Pilotdaddy wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:49 am For private loans, of course, you can spend it anywhere. I was referring to the Ontario program called OSAP where you can only use it against select schools.
I was too. I went to a private flight school and received provincial (not Ontario) loans.

TwinOtterFan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TwinOtterFan »

Pilotdaddy wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:13 am
ant_321 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:07 pm Does Ontario not offer provincial student loans?
Not for FTUs such as the BFCs, DFCs, etc. of the world. It would have to be something like Seneca for it to be covered by OSAP, which sounds like the OP isn't interested in doing.

Interestingly, Harvs Air, all the way in Manitoba, does qualify for OSAP. So if you're looking for something quick/modular while still being eligible for OSAP, they may be worth the try.
+1 for Harvs air, not actually going there I'm going to BFC here in Ontario soon, but I know they are on the pre-approved list for school loans but if you read the fine print they will not cover the PPL, just the rest because then it makes you employable.

I believe there is one out east as well. Moncton I think....

Jetking
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jetking »

I already have checked on the osap website , they provide up to like 7 or 8 grand for Diploma flight courses at Conestoga, waterloo, Algonquin, Harv’s air etc. but that wouldn’t even cover your PPL training. So basically no govt. loans or grants more than 10k! Sucks:(

Jetking
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jetking »

ant_321 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:04 pm
Pilotdaddy wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:49 am For private loans, of course, you can spend it anywhere. I was referring to the Ontario program called OSAP where you can only use it against select schools.
I was too. I went to a private flight school and received provincial (not Ontario) loans.
Damn lucky you bud! Are you from Alberta?

Jetking
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jetking »

TwinOtterFan wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:31 pm

+1 for Harvs air, not actually going there I'm going to BFC here in Ontario soon, but I know they are on the pre-approved list for school loans but if you read the fine print they will not cover the PPL, just the rest because then it makes you employable.

So are you going to BFC for integrated ATPL or just modular training at your pace?

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

Jetking wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:55 pm
ant_321 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:04 pm
Damn lucky you bud! Are you from Alberta?
Newfoundland. It was also 11 years ago.

TwinOtterFan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TwinOtterFan »

Jetking wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:58 pm
TwinOtterFan wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:31 pm

So are you going to BFC for integrated ATPL or just modular training at your pace?
Modular, taking a year off to do flight training.

Pilotdaddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pilotdaddy »

Jetking wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:54 pm

I already have checked on the osap website , they provide up to like 7 or 8 grand for Diploma flight courses at Conestoga, waterloo, Algonquin, Harv’s air etc. but that wouldn’t even cover your PPL training. So basically no govt. loans or grants more than 10k! Sucks:(

Right... Yeah no luck then with OSAP after all. It looks like your only path is getting a private loan. You may get a higher amount approved if you put up some collateral (real estate, as an example) or if you find someone that would co-sign with you. Best of luck!

TwinOtterFan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TwinOtterFan »

Jetking wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:51 pm All I know is banks would offer 40k student line of credit if enrolled full time. Which is clearly not enough for minimum of 60k training.
When I was looking into Harv's I thought they were low 40's all in? and I have heard nothing bad about them. I am currently doing their online ground school waiting to get to Brampton.

Jomaryngs
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jomaryngs »

It seems there is a similar topic on this forum. I think you should look for a summer school in which you will not have to pay for tuition, provided you work out some time for a company that cooperates with this flight school. This scenario will be the most profitable for you since, after obtaining a license, you will have a profession and a job for which you will be able to gain experience. The only loan in my life was a mortgage that I recently issued from Mortgage Advice Leicester, and I believe that only a mortgage is a justified type of lending. In other cases, it is necessary to find solutions to the problem without a loan.

sjatana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by sjatana »

Jetking wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:51 pm Hello folks,
I wonder how to finance your flight training in Ontario ?
PS: I’m Ontario resident.
I’m talking about going to colleges(not the government subsidizes) or just going to FTUs for modular quickest programs available such as CPL, with or without multi & ifr.
All I know is banks would offer 40k student line of credit if enrolled full time. Which is clearly not enough for minimum of 60k training.

If you can put your thoughts, comments, concerns, ideas, experiences that would be greatly appreciated.
If you're ruling out subsidized programs, I'd avoid going to a college program and doing your training as a walk-in student to a local flight school.

With the way our economy is going/projected, I'd keep borrowing as low as possible. Get a job and work your butt off.

Return to “Flight Training”