Good time to quit training?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Good time to quit training?

Post by vermont »

Yeah look at all the people who move to LA and wait tables instead of the acting job they thought they were going for! Follow your dreams often turns into ignore logic/reality. I do agree with what some people have said here though and I'll keep at it but at a much slower pace now
---------- ADS -----------

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

It was never my "dream" to be a pilot, just seemed like it would be interesting and suit my lifestyle/earnings goals.

Somehow managed to navigate through the lower levels of this business during 9/11, SARs, Great Recession, etc.

Worked hard, rode a couple companies into the ground, the "hiring boom" the flight school told me about when I went to inquire never came, but it all worked out pretty good in the end.

I acknowledged that it doesn't work out for many/most though, but even with this "crisis" it's better than I have ever seen. I think you have to ask yourself if you're resilient and willing to do whatever it takes. If not, then you better save your money.

Nobody is owed or assured success in this business or in life.

pul106
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pul106 »

altiplano wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:38 am Nobody is owed or assured success in this business or in life.
Spot on!

This virus scare is genuine, however if one needs certain assurances and "non-crisis" scenarios, it maybe asking too much. Best to save money, stress and play it safe!

Last edited by pul106 on Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Clean shitters if you have to, to get where you want to go.

Many of us have.

If you're not willing to do that, and instead your plan is GoFund me to compete with the cancer patients, I've got no use for you.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

There is never a good or bad time to start something. Tomorrow comes no matter what.
And the Go Fund Me thing is a bit off to us, but in Europe, they have had benefactors for years, or did when I started flying. People would actually advertise looking for people to sponsor. Dunno what they got out of it - I was kind of afraid to ask.

TalkingPie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TalkingPie »

I'm also a little down on my training today, but I admit that has more to do with the fact that I bumped a wing against the gas pump while parking at the end of today's flight. Meeting with the chief pilot is forthcoming.

As far as larger current events go, I think it's too early to tell how bad it'll get for the industry. For those just starting out like myself, a lot can happen in the year or two before we're ready to go looking for our first jobs. Things could get better or worse, but I'm putting my money on the idea that there will still be people who want to take planes places, and the world will need pilots to fly them.

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

vermont wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:06 pm The whole virus scare looks like it's just pooped the bubble, do the people here suggest anyone about to start or who doesn't have much invested should quit due to the bleak future?
Quit today.
It would have been better to quit three months ago to get ahead of the curve but hindsight and all that...

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

TalkingPie wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:25 am I'm also a little down on my training today, but I admit that has more to do with the fact that I bumped a wing against the gas pump while parking at the end of today's flight. Meeting with the chief pilot is forthcoming.

As far as larger current events go, I think it's too early to tell how bad it'll get for the industry. For those just starting out like myself, a lot can happen in the year or two before we're ready to go looking for our first jobs. Things could get better or worse, but I'm putting my money on the idea that there will still be people who want to take planes places, and the world will need pilots to fly them.
Tell us how this goes! I was actually afraid since it almost happened to me and I started my scan about 10 seconds before impact

TalkingPie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TalkingPie »

vermont wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:52 pm
TalkingPie wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:25 am I'm also a little down on my training today, but I admit that has more to do with the fact that I bumped a wing against the gas pump while parking at the end of today's flight. Meeting with the chief pilot is forthcoming.

Tell us how this goes! I was actually afraid since it almost happened to me and I started my scan about 10 seconds before impact
I started a separate thread about it, so feel free to continue that discussion over there.

Return to “Flight Training”