Flight school delays - Covid19

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

EGW
Rank 1
Rank 1

Flight school delays - Covid19

Post by EGW »

Just wondering what everyone is thinking as far as flight training goes. College programs like Confed sault and Seneca will likely lose their summer semesters because of this, which means hundreds of hours lost. Anyone in these programs that has any thoughts? How about anyone who’s been accepted for September’s intake... this will put these schools behind more than the strike did and we still haven’t recovered from that
---------- ADS -----------

ChrisB
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Flight school delays - Covid19

Post by ChrisB »

Whatever happens happens, its totally out of our control. I think the fact I've got a year left to allow things to recover a bit before entering the job markets is an asset right now. Not a huge rush to get things done anymore as the outlook right now is a little more grim. Either way I do think we'll get a bit behind but I'm ok with staying an extra few months. If the college I'd closed for the summer semester we could have bigger issues.

EGW
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EGW »

I think without a doubt this will shut everything down until at least June or July

Civic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Civic »

EGW wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:20 pm I think without a doubt this will shut everything down until at least June or July
wow, do you really think that flight schools will close for that long? I know Seneca and WWFC (Waterloo) have shut down for a couple of weeks, but how about other 'regular' flight schools like Spectrum Airways or schools out in B.C. that don't offer the college programs?

OldTracker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by OldTracker »

Good Topic. I was just going to put something like this out there. Its what they now call a "fluid situation".
But ideas and speculation could help to understand where we all stand. I hope this thread gets some informative insight from the students now affected, students starting in Sept. and ideas on what to do.
My son starts in the fall and is just beginning to reflect on the probabilities ahead. Any knowledge gathered and source reference is a great start to be prepared. Cheers all.

EGW
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EGW »

Im a first year at confed, and like most programs, the summer is where most of the flying happens. Losing the summer essentially means starting over whenever this clears up. So far the faculty is not even certain on how to finish this semester with exams etc. This is a major unforeseen setback that will make me rethink if it’s even worth continuing.

ChrisB
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ChrisB »

It doesn't look like there are many jobs waiting for us on the other side anyways when we get out, so I'm not in a huge rush anymore.

If flyings shut till September, well have first, second and third years all fighting over planes with crap weather and classes to deal with, vs the summer where the first years and a few second years are the only class flying. Let's just hope it doesn't come to that and we get the summer semester.

learningpilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by learningpilot »

It all depends how quickly we can flatten the curve. If the spread shows signs of slowing down, we have good chance for things to slowly start getting back to normal. If the spread keeps growing exponentially, as it is right now, we can be certain our situation is not going to get better.

CBHurricane
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CBHurricane »

New to the forum here due to this situation, trying to find alternatives and answers like everyone. After a 10yr hiatus from flying I just recently got into a position to finish my ppl and then this happens. Currently trying to find someone local to rent a plane from as my old flight instructor is still certified but can't acquire written exams. Could I possibly get a CFI to do the written exams (pstar, roc-a)? Anybody look into a situation like this?

BWL
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BWL »

All schools (helicopter and fixed wing) at Springbank CYBW are closed including Mount Royal College, Calgary Flying Club and Springbank Air Training as dictated by the Provincial Medical Officer. Are there any other schools closed in Canada or about to? Rough times for Instructors and all staff impacted!

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

CBHurricane wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:17 pm New to the forum here due to this situation, trying to find alternatives and answers like everyone. After a 10yr hiatus from flying I just recently got into a position to finish my ppl and then this happens. Currently trying to find someone local to rent a plane from as my old flight instructor is still certified but can't acquire written exams. Could I possibly get a CFI to do the written exams (pstar, roc-a)? Anybody look into a situation like this?
It would help people to answer if you said where in Canada you are.

You should also know - you can't do a PPL in a rented plane. You have to do it in *your* plane, if you have one, or go to a Flight Training Unit. A freelance instructor in a borrowed or rented plane won't do.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

photofly wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:25 am
CBHurricane wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:17 pm New to the forum here due to this situation, trying to find alternatives and answers like everyone. After a 10yr hiatus from flying I just recently got into a position to finish my ppl and then this happens. Currently trying to find someone local to rent a plane from as my old flight instructor is still certified but can't acquire written exams. Could I possibly get a CFI to do the written exams (pstar, roc-a)? Anybody look into a situation like this?

You should also know - you can't do a PPL in a rented plane. You have to do it in *your* plane, if you have one, or go to a Flight Training Unit. A freelance instructor in a borrowed or rented plane won't do.
Says who?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Says the Canadian Aviation Regulation 406.03.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

I wouldn’t sweat the delays, right now there will be many 3000+ hour guys looking for jobs and no hiring for 2+ years at the majors anyway as some will inevitably have long term layoffs.

CBHurricane
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CBHurricane »

photofly wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:25 am

Sorry southern alberta, schools I've looked at are Springbank, Okotoks, and olds/Didsbury areas.

Guess I have to buy a plane or a share in a plane. Is there a way to at least get written exams completed during this time, or is everyone SOL for the foreseeable future?

snowcrest
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by snowcrest »

First year Seneca student.

All classes have been moved online for the rest of the semester. As for the summer, where the flight training begins, it is pin drop silence from upper management. Feel like I’m in a pitch black room with no doors, nobody is talking to us. If summer is cancelled, I wish they would just let us know.

All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

CBHurricane wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:17 pm
Sorry southern alberta, schools I've looked at are Springbank, Okotoks, and olds/Didsbury areas.

Guess I have to buy a plane or a share in a plane. Is there a way to at least get written exams completed during this time, or is everyone SOL for the foreseeable future?
you need 10 hours flight time to sit the PPAER exam, and a category 3 medical, or better.

I don’t know for how long TC exam centres are remaining open, or whether they’re shut already.

PSTAR exam must be done at TC or an FTU. ROC-A exam has to be done with a radio examiner approved by Industry Canada; typically FTUs have them bu there may be others; check the Industry Canada website to search for one near you.

Last edited by photofly on Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

snowcrest wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:17 pm First year Seneca student.

All classes have been moved online for the rest of the semester. As for the summer, where the flight training begins, it is pin drop silence from upper management. Feel like I’m in a pitch black room with no doors, nobody is talking to us. If summer is cancelled, I wish they would just let us know.
I’m sure as soon as they know, you’ll know. At the moment people are wondering which of them, their friends and relatives will be in hospital or dead by this summer, so your pitch black room is a pretty comfortable place to be.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

TC exam centres shut down UFN. It sounds like most FTU’s have either shut down completely or are not doing any dual training.

Civic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Civic »

Big Pistons Forever wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:43 am TC exam centres shut down UFN. It sounds like most FTU’s have either shut down completely or are not doing any dual training.

So all TC centres are closed for any enquirires?

Return to “Flight Training”